Baby Steps

The heated sensation beneath my skin burned hotter and hotter. The pain was practically unbearable as I sheepishly gathered my wits. Briskly, I brushed the dirt off my shoulders and chest, attempting to sweep away the pain too. It opened at my skin like a child opens their present; no resistance, no conscience, just rip and tear. The searing sting of the wound was blinding and made me want to howl with tears, so loud that the dingoes would cry back. My heart pounded so hard and fast as I began to walk it off. Even though I could hear the thudding echo in my ears, I had to stay strong. I was going to learn to keep going and convince them I really was okay.
I could see a small wind storm brewing ahead of me, it lifted dirt and sand beneath my feet delicately and gracefully, creating a small oncoming warpath. But I walked on, gritted my teeth and endured the undying sting as each little warrior attacked my delicate wound.
But I still did not scream out in pain, I was determined to be a big girl now. “No more crying from you” Mummy gently warned me, “it is time to grow up a little bit, okay?” I remember nodding dutifully as I promised that I would learn to bear some pain, to take a blow sometimes. I’m sure she would be proud of me; they always said that I was a smart girl.
So, I dragged my leg to the step above, carefully caressing it between my childishly plump hands just as I would with my baby dolls. The driving sting brought an ailing feeling to the pit of my stomach, building its way the base of my throat. I breathed deeply to suppress the agony; unfortunately it only heightened the nauseous feelings. The sickening smell of fresh blood traumatized my naïve sense of smell and my eyes tingled and glazed over in reaction. I could sense the development of tears lingering sharply stinging at the sensory nerves of my heart.
I was going to give in, I just knew it! I had come so far, I really didn’t want to. My heart gained speed again and my breathing shortened somewhat. Just as I was going to let go of everything I was holding in; a soft hand gently placed itself on my shoulder. I cautiously turned my head, preparing for the worst.
“What a trooper you are! That was a mighty fall sweetie ha-ha and, not a tear?” I flashed a hearty, gap - toothed smile - wincing discreetly against the pain of my injury. “My, you are brave!” she added with an encouraging grin. I felt her soft, warm palm gently squeeze my shoulder as an act of reassurance. My face glowed and eyes lit up as I soon forgot any tears or falls, but proudly replied, “Not a single one”.

487 Words

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!