Yearning

People have a habit of forgetting the obvious. Namely, Me. I can sit in a room full of crowded people, unobserved. And unnoticed and ignored as I am; I watch. And listen. And learn.

I watch as people work.

I listen as people gossip.

Bit I look closer, at the little things that slip by.

I watch the little frown that graces her face, speaking her unhappiness, though she’ll not say a word of it. I watch the twitch that runs through his finger, as he restrains himself, resisting the urge to start a fight.

But mostly…I watch you.

I watch you as you work. The way you frown of concentration as you work something out. The triumphant smile that spreads across your face when you have solved the puzzle.

I watch you as you chat amongst friends. The smile you smile though I know you are screaming in frustration inside. The way you politely laugh at the jokes they tell, though they just aren’t that funny.

I watch those rare moments when you smile a genuine smile. I wish I know what put that on your face, so I would do it a thousand times over. I would do anything to see you smile like that.

I wish I could approach you, though I wouldn’t know what to say. I wish I could just touch you, caress you, even to just hold your hand. Yo tuck a piece of hair that has fallen astray behind your ear. To pat your back while your team mates cheer.

You are more beautiful than I can say. Your hair, your skin, you are beautiful in every way. But what I think is the best, the part that tops your beauty off, is your eyes. You glance at me, unintentionally, and your eyes meed, just for a brief moment. I could stare into your eyes all day, drowning in their depths.

But you and I shall never meet. You are far too beautiful and I too plain. You are a Goddess and I a worshipper. Both of us living in two different worlds and never the two shall meet.

But I shall still watch…

…and hope.

…and dream.

Of a life that will never be.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!