R Block

I was sure I oathed, never to come back to this forsaken hell hole.
But here I am, home...

Home, filthy hot barrens, disastrous weather, worst of all, the terrible sun. It wasn't surprising they closed the school, It taught never more than a hundred students, and I had no idea how it ran that arduous 50 or so years. But the school, is why I'm here.

When I walk past the main block of town, some familiar people glance, and I glance back, then continue walking to my motel. Finally, I'm in a nice bed, it's late; and hot.
I lay waiting for morning.

First thing before dawn, I walk down the oh so familiar road down to Harley Elementary, It's sure been a while since I've walked down this road.

When I reach to school, I was Horrified when I saw what happened to the place I spent my childhood at.
Where once was the playground is now a wreck of rust and debris. The main building, now a war zone, graffitti and dust. It wasn't that long when it closed, I've seen enough, but a force took me to the back of the school, where which miraculously was the willow, unharmed.

"It was a typical spring day,20 or so years ago. When Micheal and I sat under the tree. Always I, calm headed, sat, book in hand. Micheal, not so calm, was climbing the tree. “Hey! David! Check me out! Great huh?” “Hey! Hey! Look!” He yelled."

I stood there under the willow, when I snapped back to reality. Then I saw it, R block. A what used to be rebound wall, still in shape, but was filled with graffitti.

It wasn't anger, sadness. But a form of frustration. I see that type of stuff everyday in the city. I didn't know why it hit me so hard.

" "David!" "Look mate! Beat thi-... Ahh!" he had fallen, in a blink, I was under Micheal, he had fallen.
"I owe you," he said to me with a grin."

When I walk back, I think about Micheal and I. We had sworn that one day, we'd leave this place. When it was time, we both went in different directions. He was always the creative one.

I spent a few days at Harley, revisting places. But the school was stuck in my head. It was night, on a hot summer day. I lay awake, waiting for morning, when I set foot fir Harley Elementary.

Again I walked the path, until i finally reached the willow. Then R block, I felt as if I couldn't do anything. I sat under the willow, then I heard a familiar voice.
"I heard you were back in town," said Micheal.

We both looked at the rebound wall, I grinned at Micheal. " I guess we're even, eh?" I saw to him with the biggest grin. Micheal, was an artist.
Harley Elementary 1960-2009.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!