R.I.P. Claudia

Walking on the old footpath with the summer air breeze in my face. The feeling of air felt cold on my gums. As I walk past the bus stop, floral hedges give off a sweet aroma. Most people would think I am perfect from what you know but, I have Leukaemia. Having Leukaemia has been a big part of my life, another big thing is the fact that ostentatious people stare at me because of my bald hair. In case you were wondering, I’m Claudia and I am eleven. Every day I go for chemotherapy.

Every day I am stuck in this miserable hospital except when I am `Cheeky’ as the nurses say. So here I am in the hospital car park stepping into the elevator to see that hag (My Doctor). In the Elevator there is a young girl with someone staring at my head. As I away she started giggling, I felt like turning around and slapping her but the elevator door opened for me.
The hag was there.
“I know you have a great dislike for me but, you can’t be the brat you are.” Hag half shouted at me. Trying to ignore her I laid down on the cold hospital bed slowly drifting off to sleep. The next morning I was woken up by Kimberly, a student here for work experience. Her bright red hair shone like the sun and her smile was warm.
“Your Mother is in the waiting room, would you like to see her?” Kimberly asked. I knew something was up. Mum usually visits only twice a month because of her depression, this was her third time. So I nodded slowly and Kimberly left.

“Hello Claudia!” Mum whispered, startling me. Then Dad and Clint (My brother) came in, and then started screaming at each other whether to put anaesthetic into me or get spare parts or whether to take me home. I knew what they were talking about. These were my last days of Leukaemia. It seemed like a good thing but I was going to die. Everyone was still screaming at each other but it seemed to be getting quieter. Their mouths were still going at the same speed but they were getting quieter, nearly silent. My eyes started to flicker, I felt tired and slowly, I drifted off to sleep. Not waking up again...

The last thing Claudia said to me was to write her story in first person. My name is Kaitlyn Stevens and I was Claudia’s best friend. It was a devastating time and I had told Claudia’s Parents about what Claudia had said to me and they immediately broke into tears, so I decided not to. But all my emotions had churned up inside and I experienced grieving, so I had to let it out some way. I tried everything but I was terrible at them, so I thought of going on with the narrative Claudia wanted.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!