Oasis

Oasis
Hi my name is Andrew Harris and this is my story. It’s about how I became homeless. I became homeless because I could not get along with my mum. With constant fighting and abuse from my mum and my step father. One Sunday night in May I was watching TV and my mum was drunk and started to go off her head at me for no reason, I thought to myself “not again”. After about half an hour of her yelling at me she finally kicked me out.

I first went to a friend’s house to stay but he said I could only stay for a couple of days. I stayed at tom’s place for two weeks then I had to move on because of my drinking habits and I couldn’t pay the rent. Tom had, had an enough so it was time to move on to David’s place. I was at David’s place for 3 days before I got into a fight with David’s dad because I came home drunk. David told me about a tempory youth accommodation at horizon house in Mitchell Street. Because of my drinking problem I was not allowed to stay but on staff member got me room for the night at st Lukes in Mundy Street.

When I was staying at st Lukes shelter I continued drinking further and more and more every day. I was kicked out of the shelter because of my alcohol abuse and abusing the staff. I felt that no one in the cared if I lived or died. I was so depressed and kept thinking about committing suicide. On one of my lowest days I tried to hang myself but the rope broke all that I felt was my body hitting the ground and thinking I couldn’t even do that right. I was found by reverend smith he took me to the hospital and I was treated for rope burn and had BAC of 0.25.

After I was discharged from the hospital reverend smith took me to a rehab clinic. At first I didn’t want to go but I know I had to. I struggled with the program at first but what kept me at rehab is the thought that I am doing the thing that I hate about my mum and how I don’t want to be like her. I met a girl while I was at the clinic going though the same things I was. Ash and I became good friends while in the clinic we also became support for each other. After I got out of rehab I looked around and found a job with a construction company. I saved some money and started to rent a house with Ash.
By Jazmyn Warzywoda

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!