Tainted

I
ELEVATE THE MIRROR TOWARDS MY FACE; ITS FIERCELY PATTERNED HANDLE IS CARVED ORNATELY, WITH unnatural coolness when poised in my fingertips. Its iciness is a soft, gentle caress from the immense ocean. My eyes flicker stonily to the left; I snag my reflection from my sharpened peripheral vision. Placed on my pallid skin are strikingly wide, curious eyes; the irises are deeply emphasized, an exotic turquoise. Enraptured by the wickedly lovely face that they gaze longingly at, my pupils dilate, along with my rapid distress. I carefully study the opaque pools of cerulean; they are intricately flecked with golden slivers of pain. An otherworldly, unattainable part of me sinks into tainted darkness. Perfect, exquisite; yet I detest them with a bitter, burning certainty.
The mirror’s glass sounds shrill as it shatters into millions of tiny shards. The sudden, eclipsing darkness it creates throws eerie shadows over my face. I delve deeper into the water until my palms are grazing past floury, paper-white sand. Momentarily, I allow the pristine perfection to fall through my fingertips, before I press the curve of my shoulder against its softness. Burrowing into the warmth, I clench my muscles tightly. Torrents of bubbles assault me every second. When sleep falls upon me, it’s hazy and gradual; I am shrouded with gentle warmth that wraps around me in slithering golden tendrils. Abruptly, I begin reliving the time I was chosen to be a mermaid.
It all occurred breathtakingly fast; one moment my bathing suit was clinging to my tuscan skin, the next; nausea was rolling over me in sickening waves. I could barely keep myself afloat. The sand which held my oblivious friends and family seemed vastly distant; even though my screams were piercing the air in choked, strangled cries, they couldn’t hear me; poor Ruesivelle. Something started tugging at my feet, which was roughly the time that I was consumed by a cold, fierce terror. My eyes, clouded with pain, flitted downwards, only to discover the tail that hung below me. I cringed and clenched my hands into fists, squeezing my eyes tightly shut. When they opened, I felt enriched; my breath left my lips in unearthly gasps; droplets of water clung to my body, giving the impression that waves were lapping underneath my skin. My silky hair fanned out around me; a dark curtain. I remained upright, effortlessly bobbing, until tugging tore me into reality. Tears pooled in my eyes and washed down my cheeks until I was struck by unconsciousness.
I awaken, frightened and slathered in sand. I glance pointedly at my hand, where a sharp pain pricks my skin. I pluck a shard of glass that pokes from the dripping wound before discarding it, so as not to catch my reflection again. I stroke the rainbow faucets of my tail, feeling surprised as I discover tiredness in my limbs. I sigh; what will the coming days hold? For now, I embrace the sweet, gentle pleasure of life and bask in its radiance.




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!