The Poor People

The Poor People

I walked into my classroom after I had come in from lunch. I sat down on the floor where everyone else was sitting. I sat next to my best friend Jessica. My teacher looked me in the eye in the way that he wanted to speak to me or ask me a question. And then he said “Chloe, did you watch the news last night” I answered “Yes a bit of it, why?” My teacher replied “Did you see the report about the poor people?” “No” I said to him, confused. “Ok, then I will play it” My teacher turned on our class T.V.

The news reporter said “Have you ever thought to yourself what the people in the poor countries are doing right now? I can tell you. They are dying from hunger every 5 seconds! A lot of families are trying to help. But if YOU help them it will make a very big difference. Even if you send a few dollars every week.”

“Well, there was a family that wasn`t very wealthy at all! They only had a little bit of shelter and only a little bit of food and water. Every day the Daughter would go and fetch some water from the lake. The eldest son went with his Dad to learn how to kill animals with a bow and arrow or a spear. The Mum collected twigs and bamboo with her 3 year old child and took them to her home where she made them into blankets to sleep with, and mats to sit on. She also made some extra ones to sell. They didn`t have very much, but all that changed when a very kind family helped them. They supplied them with better shelter, food and water, warm and cosy blankets, some mattresses and some furniture. The family was so grateful for what they had done! For the rest of their lives they had enough food and water, all because of one family!”

“After today a lot of people have died. But if you can maybe resist having a coffee at the coffee shop and spend the money helping people, maybe just maybe you might change a family’s life! Or even the world!”

After the news reporter finished talking it was only then I realised how poor those people really are. My teacher turned the T.V off and by then the school bell rang and the class was dismissed.

When Mum picked me up from school I asked “Mum, can we go straight home instead of going to the café and the money that we would have spent at the café can we send the money to the poor people?” “Yes, of course we can, I am so pleased that you are thinking of others, rather than yourself!” answered my Mum.

After that day I have only been going to the café once a month and that makes me feel very happy!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!