Race Day

I breathed hard under my grey sweat marked shirt. Pumped and ready. I was staring out at the horizon of the oval, dark green track feeling a roar of excitement crawling up inside me. It felt like plunging into the dark, deep blue in a scuba suit breaststroking around gently and gazing at magnificent, rare fish racing past.
The male official yelled "ON YOUR MARKS!" We all took a deep breath in and out again trying to get zoned in. "GET SET". We all got our position in a crouch. BANG! A clear ear piercing gun shot and we all plunged ourselves forward with the wind and began running, pushing our legs hard. The wind through our hair wisping it around violently. Breathing even harder now to stay up the front. Pushing harder and harder to move. Running turned into a sprint.

Plop! I fell to my hands in gluggy mud, realising my shoe laces weren't done up. I slumped my head in my hands, tears drizzling slowly down my pale cheeks. My life was over. I rushed off the track, out of the grandstand and tipped my water bottle over my head and knees to trickle the oozing mud off. The mud slid off, like the rain on your window on a soggy day. I walked home tipping the now sun stroked water on the nature strip in disappointment. Lowering my head in shame. It was going to be a long, hard day.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!