O Be Careful What You Say!

Annie and Chloe were two best-friends. There was something about them that made them stand out from the crowd, they were so different yet so close. Annie was the smartest and brightest in the ninth grade and Chloe was a simple girl who constantly watched in admiration of Annie.

Their school day was like almost every other student in the ninth grade, all until the F.A.B girls declared war against Annie. They called her the most terrible things anybody could imagine. In fact, I remember one day when I was walking in the school corridor, I witnessed the most cruel incident I had ever seen in my entire life.

“Look who it is, Annie the geek.” This was the same phrase that Stephanie, the tallest and newest member of the F.A.B girls blurted out every time she wished to humiliate someone.

“What’s the matter Annie? Cat got your tongue?” She continued. This piqued the interest of the F.A.B member leader, Rachel.

“Oh, she’s not only an ugly geek, she’s got no come back either… she’s a loser too!” Rachel commented.

Annie ignored them almost as if they weren’t there. Stephanie didn’t get the message but continued to bully her.

“She’s self-obsessed, ugly, ignorant and now we all know she’s deaf too. It’s a shame F.A.B stands for fabulous and beautiful, something you’ll never be.”

Annie’s face started to sadden, as if she had actually believed what they said to her but Chloe didn’t realise.

“Annie’s a strong girl. She’s something none of you will ever be. You may think that you’re fabulous and beautiful but we all know who really is, Annie.” Chloe said steadily.

Annie regained her confidence for a period of about two minutes, until she thought deeply about what was being said about her. After that incident Annie tried to keep a low profile at school. She stopped answering questions in class and talking to anybody except Chloe.

I’m not sure if anybody else realised it except me but Annie was starting to be sad all the time, she thought of herself as a failure, she was constantly crying and she always wanted to be alone even if Chloe was with her.

The next day at school, Annie was absent, both her parents worked so she wasn’t allowed to stay home even if she was sick. Chloe cried the whole day at school. She didn’t tell anybody why she was crying and why Annie wasn’t at school, until she reached breaking point.

“Annie’s not at school today what-a-first and her only friend is crying a river.” Jace, the only one of the F.A.B girls with black hair said.

“Listen here, don’t mention Annie’s name again, otherwise I’ll deal with you myself. You murdered her!”

“What are you talking about?” Jace was puzzled.

“She jumped off the Brooklyn bridge yesterday!” Chloe blurted, “are you happy now?” Chloe was now openly crying more than before.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!