Jack

I sit in the back of the car crowded with boxes and bags, the window open letting the warm breeze blow though my blood red hair.
“Taylor, lost in your thoughts again?”
“Oh, no not at all mum.”
What’s the matter, Taylor? You always wanted a challenge and adventure.”
“What if the kids at the school hate me?” I ask.
Mother groaned. “You shouldn’t worry”.
“Easy for you to say mum,” I whisper before dozing off.

We arrive. Two large iron gates stand in front of us. The driveway is lined with trees forming a tunnel and at the end, barely standing, a dark two- storey cracked and weathered house.
“Hey Taylor, the house might be haunted?” Mum laughs at her own joke.
I get out the car to fix the gates open so she could drive up. I choose to walk, to take in the scenery. It smells fresh and clean, unlike the city. The birds fly from the trees as my feet crunch on the gravel.
“Hey!” I was disturbed by a voice. I took a turn and coming down my drive is a light skinned, blonde-haired young man.
“Uh, is that how you greet new people around here?”
“Well I’m sorry Miss” he says cheekily and bows to me.
He is a lot taller than I thought, about five nine; then again I’m four foot eight.
He says with a laugh, “All the girls love it, when a gentleman greets a woman with such…”
I cut him off “Yeah, okay. I’ve got to unpack um… name please?”
“Jack. And you are?”
“I’m Taylor Stewart; I’m guessing you’re the friendly neighbour that comes to help the new comers?” I ask.
Jack looks down, “No I actually come here often.”
“The person with no friends, right ha-ha?
He looks away then offers to help unpack.

“Oi, Taylor follow me! This is boring” he whispers so he won’t offend Mum.
“Yeah, okay Jack,”
He’s pulling on my sleeve like a little child.
“You’re going to be amazed when you see what’s out here!” he smiles, like I am his first ever best friend.

“Alright, Taylor close you’re eyes now,” he asks me.
He guides me through what is like a forest. I hear rushing water; I start to freak out.
“You’d better not be a serial killer!” I scream.
He laughs and whispers “Taylor, when I first saw you I was going to ask you if you wanted to be my friend… and show you this”
I open my eyes to see a small stream with a hand-built bridge. Across the bridge is a large tree with a tree house in it.
“Wow, Jack. You made this?” I was in shock.
“I was so scared about moving,” I turn around to see him crying but smiling too.
“Taylor, I’m glad you came,” he whispers, then he disappears into thin air.
And where he was standing is left a note saying “I’m not real, I’m a ghost.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!