The Secret Garden

As Henry and Tess trudged off to school, they wondered about what lay behind the semi-circular wooden carved doors. Rumours had it that eerie and mysterious noises were often heard coming from behind the doors.
“You must never ever go near those semi-circular doors next to the school ground,” their teacher Milly Dawson warned. “Never ever!” she repeated. This only made Henry and Tess more curious and more determined to explore.
“We’re going to be the first people to step behind those doors,” Tess giggled. With several giant leaps and pushes, Henry lunged at the door. It vibrated but did not open. Henry and Tess rammed into the door together. Boo…oom!!! Cree….eek!!!Dust and peeling paint rained down like confetti as the rusty old lock gave way and a little gap appeared.
“Wow! Look at those flowers! ” Tess breathed.
“So much so for eerie and mysterious noises,” Henry snarled.
“I suspect no one has been here since this place is so overgrown,” Tess rambled on.
“Let’s explore! It’s not dangerous!”
“We could make this our secret garden,” Henry decided.
Suddenly, a high pitched alarm rang out. Henry and Tess panicked. They tried to run but it was too late. Countless little soldiers of knee height surrounded them and fired little arrows at them. Another group of tiny soldiers attacked them with spears and swords.
“These must be the Luladic people grandma talked about!” Tess exclaimed. Before they could say more, they both collapsed. When they woke up, they found themselves crammed together in a small prison. The Luladic King appeared in front of them. “You two have invaded my land,” he roared. “Tomorrow at 12:00 noon, you shall be burnt alive!”
“Please don’t kill us!” the pair pleaded, “We would rather be your slaves! We will do anything you ask, just don’t kill us!”
“Very well,” the Luladic king laughed cynically. “There is a giant rock jamming the entrance to the Luladic cave. If you can push it away and set my daughter free, you may live!”
With chains on their legs, Henry and Tess heaved and inched the rock away. It was a gruesome task. To the Luladic people, it was as hard as moving Mt Everest. Behind the rock was a dark cave. The king rushed into the cave shouting, “Princess, are you still alive?” There was no answer. The King and his men searched the cave. Finally, the king stumbled out carrying a feeble little Luladic princess in his arm.
“She’s not breathing, somebody help!” the king yelled in desperation. Henry and Tess gave her mouth to mouth resuscitation. Slowly, the princess was revived.
“A jealous witch cast her into the cave two days ago. Thank you for saving her!” The king explained. The King was so grateful, he granted his promise. He even rewarded them with a small section of the Luladic land as their secret garden. Now they visit it whenever they like.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!