Sacrifice

The air was cold and the sky dark. I ran through the town dodging the pieces of flying shrapnel as the bombs fell down on our homes. Pausing to catch my breath I dared to glance up at the sky, what I saw terrified me. The planes were flying in low formations over the town, they glinted sliver in the firelight but were otherwise invisible. I stared at one house that had had its wall blown to pieces. Inside was the sad form of a young girl and her family lying motionless in the bedroom, ‘this was the price of war,’ I thought sadly, ‘the price of our greed’.
Screams filled my ears as a bomb dropped somewhere nearby. I started to run; I had to get to the truck before the town erupted into a wall of flames. Pain pierced my side but I couldn’t stop running I was only just ahead of the bombs. The world was entirely silent, but it was not still, bombs still rained down everywhere I looked. I tentatively raised a hand to my ear and clicked my fingers. My ear popped but otherwise there was no other sound. ‘Great’, I thought, ‘one of the explosions must have ruptured my ear drums’. Out of the corner of my eye I saw one of the houses near me burst into flames.
I started running again, my thoughts focused on only one thing. Run and don’t stop. My legs burned as I stormed through the town at top speed. I ran and not stopping for anything. I kept running when building blew up around me, I kept running when shrapnel cut my legs and I kept running when my body started to tire. A mixture of mud and blood splattered my legs causing them to sting like crazy. The world around me was still silent beside the occasional hiss of my damaged ears.
I was so close to the truck, that would carry me to safety that I could jump for joy, when something small and white caught my eye. ‘Ignore it’, said a quiet voice inside my head, ‘you’re almost there’. ‘Go and see what it is’, said another voice, ‘you know you want too’. I stopped running and listened to the war raging inside my head. In the end the curiosity won and I jogged over to where I saw the piece of white cloth come into veiw, and I’m surprised to see a baby lying a few feet away from a ruined home. I pick up the small bundle of life and head towards the edge of the town.
I feel the earth shake slightly as the bombs falling close by and soon they were right behind me. As I reached the getaway truck, the driver motioned that they only have room for one more. Feeling the heat of the fire on my face I know it is only a matter of minutes before this area is engulfed in flames. The driver franticly motions to hurry up, hjis mouth forming words i cannot hear.I looked at the baby’s scared inocent face and think. My family had given their life to get me out so that I could get to saftey, a thought that had occupied my thoughts all night. I look at the baby's face and stare hard, nothing else seemed more pure, my heart melted. It's my turn I decided. My turn to make the same sacrifice as my family. I hand the baby to the driver, and make my final and ultimate sacrifice.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!