Babysitting Cousins

Angela was walking home from school. A warm breeze touched her pale skin just as she heard a voice calling out to her. It was her cousin, Megan. She was in her wetsuit with her surfboard tucked under her arm which made it difficult to run. She caught up to Angela; “I was wondering if you could help me babysit Carly tonight.” Carly was Megan’s baby sister.
“It depends,” said Angela, looking over her shoulder.
“On what?”
“Money! Are we getting paid?”
“Well, I could get my mum to pay us twenty dollars each.”
“Deal!” replied Angela, shaking hands with Megan to confirm the commitment.
That night, Angela sat waiting for her aunt and uncle to leave the house. Megan flopped on the couch beside her cousin. Her mum and dad stepped outside, waved goodbye, and shut the door behind them.
“Okay,” said Megan, jumping up and looking at the notepad of instructions her mother had given her. “It says here that Carly needs to be fed at six o'clock, and it’s six o'clock now, so you go get the food and I’ll get Carly.”
Angela rushed over to the pantry, and grabbed a tub labelled ‘BABY MUSH – Lamb and Gravy.’ She ran back to Megan who was seating Carly into her pink plastic high-chair. Angela dolloped the baby food onto a princess plate and tossed it onto the table. Carly gobbled up her food quickly. She started to look funny. Her face turned green, and she puffed out her cheeks like balloons. Suddenly, something disgusting happened. She threw up right onto the table.
“Ewwww!” exclaimed Megan and Angela together. They fetched a cloth from the kitchen and cleaned up the mess. “That was gross!” said Megan, checking her notepad again. “Alright, it’s six-thirty, so it’s time for Carly’s bath.”
They raced upstairs with Carly in Megan’s arms, undressed the little baby in the bathroom, filled up the sink with warm water, and plopped her in, but Carly started to wail. “I don’t think she likes baths,” said Megan quietly.
Back near the couch, Megan looked at the notepad again. “Now all we have to do is put her to bed.” They placed the infant in her cot, ran back downstairs, and barely watched any TV before they heard that familiar scream. “Now what?” said Megan, rolling her eyes. She beckoned Angela over, and they sped up the stairs together. Something stank! “Oh oh, it’s her nappy isn’t it?” said Angela, a little worried.
“Yep,” nodded Megan. They hurried into Carly’s room and changed her nappy. It was the most horrid job. Soon after, they heard the sound of the door opening downstairs. “Mum and Dad!” yelled Megan at once, feeling relieved. The girls bounded downstairs to greet the adults. The family hugged each other.
It was tricky looking after Carly, because so many ‘disasters’ occurred, but at least it was worth it. After all, Megan and Angela spent some time together… AND they were getting paid!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!