Queen Of Archery

Bounce.

The next sound was the impact the ball made with the racquet as it rocketed to the other side of the net. Veering off to the left, I watched as my opponent tried to sprint to the ball. Too late, I thought. The ball had landed on the edge of the singles line. Game, set and match to Stella Brooks. Applause sounded around the stadium while I walked up to the net and shook hands with my opponent. Her face was a storm cloud, so I quickly excused myself and hurried over to where my friends were waiting impatiently.

“40-nil?” Becky gawked. I returned her question with a grin, which in turn got me a suffocating hug. Siobhan, Nicole and Chloe in turn ran up to me and congratulated me on my victory. We all played tennis and competed against each other in today’s competition, but only I got to the finals.

“Girls I think that a party is in order,” I suggested excitedly. All my friends whooped and cheered until I heard an ‘ahem’ from a gruff voice nearby. Looking over my shoulder, I spotted my coach tapping his foot impatiently, for me to come over. I broke away from my group and flounced over to him. Coach Dennis was my tennis coach and head of the sports academy that I attend. Becky, Siobhan, Nicole, Chloe and I attend Australian Sports Academy on a tennis scholarship and which also sums up how we all came to be friends.

“Brooks! Enough celebrating and get over here in the next three seconds!” Coach Dennis screamed. As much as I love him being my tennis coach, he was also extremely scary. Being two meters tall, I’m surprised that nobody has ever cried in his presence.

“Hey coach! What’s up?” I grinned.

“Don’t give me the little-miss-innocent look,” he growled. “You’ve got more training to do.”

“What? Come on! I just won the regional tennis comp,” I whined. “Can’t you give me a tiny bit of relaxation?”

“Not if you want to compete in the Australian Open.”

Now that took me by surprise. The chances of anybody getting there were pretty slim; even Coach Dennis had a hard time getting in. Now that chance was served to me on a golden plate of opportunity. I stood there mouth open like a fish out of water.

“No way!”

“Yes way. One of the organizers saw you play today and thought that you would be a ‘suitable’ competitor at the Australian Opens,” he grunted.

However, there was a ‘but’. Since the organizer didn’t just see me compete today, I had to have a play-off against another competitor who was also asked to compete in the Opens. Coach Dennis pointed out the organizer talking to…Becky.

The organizer, Mr. Michael, came up to us with Becky in tow. That’s when I heard the statement that will change my life.

“Miss Brooks, please meet your competitor for the play-offs. Miss Rebecca Gladstone.”
No way.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!