Years In Waiting

A fine day was beginning, the sun rising gracefully in the sky, as Weston strolled down a lively path. Ten yards away was a tall gate with pointed spikes resting on the top. The path deadened as Weston continued down the path and through the gate, a crow sounding at him as he passed. The beautiful orange and pink sky above turned to grey storm clouds ready to spill out any second.

Wandering up to a stone-like object, Weston sat on the dirt ground. He was isolated where he was, the area wooded and away from the small town in which he lived. Weston placed a dying rose on the lush soil in front of him, humming the soft melody of an old folk song.

The wind chimed along as if someone was next to him. Weston glanced to his right and nodded. "Yes, mamma," his voice was a whisper. "I have come to join you. We can be together for as long as eternity."

With a wild gush, the wind vanished before picking up quicker and stronger. Rain started to pour out from the skies and gently patted the many surfaces of the yard. Tears of Weston's fell, accompanying the rain that was watering the lifeless field around him and his mother.

Weston took a breath and continued. "We have been separated for far too long, mamma."

Weston remembered the soothing voice of his mother; how the wonderful tone that could sing away any pain one felt. She was there with him; Weston's mother was always with him. She was carried within his heart.

Weston started breathing heavily. He knew this was going to happen and had carefully planned it out to die by his mother's side. Raising a hand and clawing at his covered chest, Weston lowered himself to the ground. The pain was agonising but he knew if he didn't experience the pain he would be unnatural.

"I'll be with you soon, mamma." Weston managed a whisper to escape his mouth, the slight sound so loud to his ears. "I'll be with you soon."

Fog settled in, blocking Weston from getting to safety. His decision was made and there was no turning back.

Turning his head to the side, Weston faced his mother's tombstone. As his life force was being slowly taken, Weston struggled to ignore the pain in his heart. It was too much pain for him to handle but once the Gods had started, they didn't stop. They couldn't stop for They found their power overwhelming.

Weston soon lay limp on the ground, eyes rolled back and body no longer alive. The vines of a nearby passion fruit plant crept closer towards Weston, tree roots and weeds forming a whole body bandage around him, the ground opening up underneath Weston's body to allow it to slowly sink in.

Thunder sounded; lightning flashed far in the distance. The fog rounded into a ball next to Weston's mother's tombstone. Seconds later of the miniature tornado, a tombstone was formed; reading;

Weston Hills
2300 - 2608
Loved By Many.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!