Xeen

As people rushed by in the shopping centre, a strange figure stood alone. At a glance, he was nothing special; a young man concealed by jeans, plain black shirt, hood and sunglasses. However, if someone were to stop and ask him to remove the glasses, they would see a large pair of black eyes which sparkled like the stars. Under the layers of clothing was a thin body covered in soft, grey skin. His name was Xeen, and he was an alien.

As people chattered and laughed, he would watch with wonderment and awe. The humans were such a strange race to him. He’d spent decades studying them. Decades learning all there was to know. Decades waiting to finally come to Earth and see them up close. Xeen wanted to know everything about these fascinating creatures. If only he knew where to start!

It was then that she approached him; a small girl with wide blue eyes and pale skin. As she approached Xeen, she twirled a lock of brown hair around her finger. He looked down at this small figure standing before him, intrigued.
“Um… can you help me Mr?” she asked, looking up at him. He tilted his head slightly. He could understand their language, however struggled to speak it. He gave her a small smile, which seemed to work, since she continued. “I lost my mum. I can’t find her anywhere. Can you help?” Xeen remembered reading something about this; young children wondering away from their parents, easily getting lost.

He nodded in reply, holding his hand out to her. She stared at his hand, which was covered with a black glove. Xeen began to wonder whether he had done something wrong when she suddenly took it, smiling up at him nervously. Xeen returned her smile, feeling scared. But the joy of finally meeting a human quickly erased all his doubts.

They walked around the shopping centre as she talked happily. Xeen couldn’t help but stare at her as she spoke. He had read so much about humans. They were the most intelligent species on Earth, varying in colour, size and personality. Females generally had long hair and slim bodies, whereas males were muscular with short hair. But it was one thing to read about them, and another thing entirely to be among them. As Xeen walked with this little girl, hand in hand, he began to wonder how much he really knew about their race.

“There she is!” the girl cried as she hastily let go of Xeen’s hand and ran towards an older female figure with long, dark hair. Xeen watched curiously from afar as she hugged her mother tightly. Why were they so happy? What caused the mother to hug her daughter one minute and then scold her the next? Xeen knew the answers, but didn't understand the emotions. There was no such thing as love or affection where he came from. But standing there, watching these two humans, he finally understood.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!