Beach House

It was the most nerve racking experience of my life. It should never have happened and we don’t even know how it happened. My name’s Josh, and this was the most exciting and scarier experience of my life.
It was late one frosty night when I was outside playing around. I was playing cricket with all my friends and I just got my best friend, Henry, out for LBW.
The oval had a cricket pitch in the middle and football goals at either side. There were also hockey pitches drawn on. The smell of the salty sea breeze reminded me of the pasta my mum was cooking Henry and me for dinner.
Wait! Dinner! I had completely forgotten about it! I quickly dropped the bat, grabbed Henry and ran back to their villa. When I finally caught sight of my family’s villa it seemed to be glowing slightly! Henry and I ran into the kitchen shouting “Mum, Mum we’re home!” I smelt a burning scent hanging around the inside of the villa. “Hmm” I snorted to myself; dad must have burnt my toast again. I ran up the stairs calling for them over the creaking and groaning of old, oak wood steps. I called for them over and over again. Then I turned around and got the biggest shock of my life. There, right in front of me were my own parents, stone-faced and seemingly dead to the world.
I just stood in disbelief for what was probably a few moments but felt like but felt like hours. Then finally the crackling sound of burning wood jolted me into action. It all made sense! The slight glow of the house as we arrived, the burning smell that I mistook for burning toast, and mum and dad right in front me. The house was on fire!
I screamed at Henry to come up here. “Phew, it’s hot in here!” and panted. Then he set his eyes on my parents. “We need to get them out of here I said seriously”. Quickly, I pulled out my mobile phone and called 000.
“Hello, how can I help you” said a sweet voice on the other side of the phone. “Our villa has caught on fire and I dragged my parents just in time” I shouted. “Ok could please tell me where you are” She asked calmly.
“Yes, 42 Harley St, Mosman Park in Sydney”. “Thankyou”. In few minutes
I heard the siren come closer. All of a sudden the paramedics where right in front of me, helping me up and asking if I was ok. “Are my parents ok” I asked groggily, on the verge of losing consciousness. One of them rushed and felt their pulse. “They’re fine,” he announced. “Battered, burnt and bruised but alive”. “Good” I nodded.
It was over. My parents were alive, Henry was alive, and I was alive. Then I let unconsciousness take over. It was over.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!