Ace Of Spades

“Vamboogla!” I yelled as I pulled the cloth out from under the beautifully set table. Everything went flying everywhere. After all I was only six.
“No, no, no” Grandpa shook his head. “Let’s try some card tricks first shall we?”
”Ok” I replied still trying to work out what went wrong.
My Grandpa was a magician and a good one at that. He started out as a street magician making only a small fortune. Now he is famous doing shows all around the world.
“Ok, start like this” Grandpa said as he showed me how to hold the deck of cards, shaking me out of my daydream. ”Now pick a card”.
I picked one and looked at it. Ace of spades.
“Now put it back in and I’ll shuffle the deck “.
I put the card back in as he closed his eyes and took my card out of the deck.
“Yes, that’s it, that’s my card!” I exclaimed excitedly. “Whoo hoo!”
Now I am a street magician making a small amount of money. Usually about $50.00 a day or less. I do card tricks and disappearing acts. You name a magic trick and I’ve done it. My Grandpa taught me everything I know. When I was 11 my Grandpa disappeared. I was devastated. I didn’t have any friends so I often skipped school and practised magic tricks with him.
I turn around still daydreaming and suddenly everything goes black. I wake up on the cold hard ground. My head is still spinning and I notice that I am in a cave. I slowly rise to my feet and look around. I can hear the dripping of the water and smell a strange smell. It smells like … like bats? I walk around for a while then see a hole in the wall. I creep into it and keep walking until I see a glowing green light. I climb out of the hole. I look around for the source of the light. I see a thick brown book lying on the ground. I look around for any signs of life. When I see none I creep up to the book and observe the cover. It is frayed at the edges and has faded pictures of magicians, sorcerers and bits of writing I don’t understand. I open the book and instantly see a death revival spell. I think of my Grandpa. I mutter the spell. “Bring back the dead, bring back the dead, NOW!” Nothing happens. I try a couple more spells. Then everything goes black.
I wake up on the street. I sit on the bench and pull out my deck of cards. I begin playing with them. Then a little boy runs up to me and tugs on my arm. “Show me a trick, please” he pleads.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!