Zara The Creamy Mare

Zara, the Creamy Mare

Crack! Snap!
“Not again,” said Zara, the creamy mare. “Him and his whips and spurs and unkind words,” she thought.
It was almost winter and Zara knew it would be long and cold. And to make everything worse, her master was always unkind to her and whipping her.
Zara was just about ready to bite him when his daughter Elle, came out. Elle was really nice, always giving her treats and pats and riding her nicely. Unlike her father, she loved Zara.
Zara wished her master would take the hint that treating her badly wasn’t going to make her behave nicely for him, but Elle was leaving to go to college after the winter and Zara knew she would be sold to someone just as bad, or worse than her master.
“Dad. Please don’t sell her while I’m gone,” said Elle.
“Elle, I’ve told you, stop asking me. You know I don’t like her because she doesn’t behave well,” said Zara’s master.
“Yes she does! You can’t sell her!”
“Inside now! I don’t want to hear anymore. The horse will be sold.”
That night Zara started worrying about who she would be sold to. “What if they’re worse than my master?” she thought. “What if they don’t feed me or maybe they won’t clean me.”
Eventually, Zara went to sleep, still worrying about what the future would hold.
And so spring came, Elle left for college and Zara was sold to a horrible little girl in the next suburb. Her name was Brittany. Brittany was a spoilt brat. Her parents were rich and bought her everything she wanted.
“Mummy, I don’t like the name Zara, I want to change it to Crystal,” Brittany told her mother.
“OK darling, you can call her Crystal,” said her mother.
After about two months, Crystal was sold again, as Zara this time, and her new master was just as bad as her first. This master didn’t feed her as well as Elle had.
Zara really wanted to see Elle again. It had been almost 4 years since she left her first home and Elle would be finishing college soon.
Zara was sold three more times to masters just as bad as the last, before she finally got to one master who was nice to her.
“Hey Zara, remember me?” asked her new master.
“Elle,” thought Zara, and neighed with excitement. She was so happy to see Elle again and Elle was over the moon to have Zara back.
Zara was never sold again, and lived the best life possible with Elle.

Chloe Blackham, Age 12, Year 7
Ceduna Area School
14 Decres Bay Road, Ceduna SA 5690

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!