ASH

Ash had been dreaming. He could remember an empty dark room. He could remember running away from someone. Something. He could remember its cold icy punch in his back. He could remember falling over. There was blood. Lots of blood.

Ash blinked. Or so he thought he did. He sat up. Was he still dreaming? Was he dreaming that he was awake? He blinked, but Ash’s grey eyes just couldn't seem to adjust. He tried to scream, but no sound came out.

There was nothing he could do. Nothing except lie there and wait.

Ash lay there for what seemed like ages.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A blinding white light and the loudest, and most high-pitched noise Ash had ever heard filled the room. Ash shielded his eyes and ears but the sound and light still managed to weave their way into his brain.

The light died and the noise stopped. They were replaced with a voice. It seemed kind enough, but Ash was wary.

“Ash” The voice echoed around the room. Ash looked around to identify its source. “Listen to me. This place does not exist. We do not have long. It-…s”

“Who are you!? And what do you want from me!?”

“I am your father. I just want to ta-”

“That's impossible! You died 11 years ago… When I was 3!”

“As I told you before this place does not exist. I just wanted to say I lov-”

An electronic, not quite human, but slightly feminine voice interrupted

“Time out. You will now be sent back to reality”

“NO! DAD!”

“Its too late,” He said calmly “Tell your mother I love her”



……………………………………………………………………………

Ash awoke in his bed quivering and breathing heavily. If that was his dad… No. It couldn't have been… But what if it was? What was the monster? Hundreds of questions drifted through his mind.

Ash wanted answers… Answers he knew he would never get.

He rolled over and looked at his clock.5:24am. Ash closed his eyes and drifted back to sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ash was dreaming again. He was in a pool of blood and his back hurt, exactly like it was in his last dream, before his dad had come in. Maybe Ash would get to talk to his father again!

The blinding light returned, but strangely there was no noise. It died, but the voice was not kind anymore. It was a deep, evil penetrating voice. This time it was not coming from everywhere at once. It was coming from right above him. Above Ash was something that looked like it could be Death’s own pet. It snarled at him. “You will not get away this time. Last time you escaped the hands of death. You are where you belong. Dead”

“NO!” Ash screamed, “I’m not dead! This isn’t real! Take me back to reality!”

“But what is reality anymore? You are dead, but you are alive. Like one of Schrodinger’s experiments. Now you are with me. Forever.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!