The Journey To The Underworld

Once long ago in a time of ancient ruins, castles, kings, spirits, gods and magic there were two brave heroes named Freya and Thor. These heroes were no ordinary heroes. They came to the rescue of all sorts of troubles and mysteries.

Freya was taking a walk through the woods one morning because the local village’s pride wolf Rex had gone missing two days before. It was up to her and Thor to return him safely back to his porch with the Minister.

Suddenly she heard a terrible shriek. Somebody or something was yelling. Freya informed Thor as he was the expert at solving all the mysterious cases that they stumbled across. ‘This must mean that the terrible fire breathing dragon Thunder has indeed opened his secret passage way to the Underworld. We must go to our laboratory and fetch more equipment’, concluded Thor.

One hour later

Thor said that we must be aware of where we tread because the Underworld is a mysterious place. Then Freya exclaimed “I just heard a grunt’. You are correct Freya, replied Thor. The mysterious beast has indeed struck again. From now on we must be cautious of what we do, because this beast has more powers than the two of ours put together.’

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, came a tremendous heat that was strong enough to sweep you right off your feet if you did not have magical powers. Thor was definite that ‘this was indeed the magical fire of the terrible dragon Thunder. Thunder is no ordinary dragon. He can breathe 35000 volts of magical flame in one breath, Thor explained to Freya. He warned that they must follow him but be cautious at all times’.

15 minutes later

‘Watch out’ Freya yelled. Thor looked up just in time to see a huge spiky tail crashing down beside him. Freya saw a gigantic magical cage which concealed the lost wolf Rex. Thor called Freya into a sheltered corner and told her that if they stopped fighting with Thunder he would be friendlier to him. Let’s go back and see if we can befriend him, said Freya so they decided to go back, but imagine the surprise Freya and Thor got when they arrived where they had been fighting Thunder a few minutes earlier. The dragon was in a corner in tears sulking. Freya wondered what was wrong. Thunder sniffed, ‘no one wants to be my friend, which is why I stole the precious wolf. I thought that his powers would be able to help me get a friend. Because I am all alone.’ ‘Don’t worry Thunder’ Thor clamed, we can be your friends’. Freya liked the idea! ‘But we have one favor to ask you. Please release the precious wolf Rex? As your reward you can be our assistant and friend for life.’ Thunders face looked stunned. Suddenly he burst out in happy tears and said ‘Thank you. My deepest secret wish has come true.’

One month later

Rex had been returned to the Minister who was so glad to have him back that he gave Freya and Thor an award of kindness each as for Thunder too. Freya and Thor had been best friends ever since they met. With Thunder joining them they will be an unbeatable team to protect the village. Even some villagers doubted them still, because they could not believe how Freya and Thor had befriended the beast who was feared throughout the land. Superstitions and frights were gone and life was back to normal were people talked and helped each other.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!