Nuclear Warfare

As the TV flickered on I fixed my eyes to the Channel 7 news What I saw was unexpected despite the fear we had. The reporter’s voice could barely be heard over the loud barrage of explosions. It was war yet more than any war we had witnessed before. It was world destruction, the apocalypse. I stared in disbelief at the carnage happening before my eyes. A static interrupted and the TV lost connection. I dashed outside to witness the annihilation of my neighbourhood. I knew it would not be long before the whole earth would become extinct, all because of North Korea. Their nuclear projectiles had been released. It seemed stupid, almost pointless for they would also die. Why destroy humankind, and themselves?
Fear racing through my mind, I sat on the kerb and wept. I watched as our community turned into a frenzy of screaming families, packing their bags to drive south, hoping that the nukes wouldn’t reach them. Family after family fled their houses in cars, some even riding bikes. Hearing my Mum call, I walked inside to see her packing our bags, her gentle hands violently shoving clothes into suitcases. “MUM! We can’t leave! We have to save Shaz,” I screamed at her. “No Tom, we have to save ourselves”. I knew she would not give in. I already knew what I was going to do. I could not leave without my friend Shaz.
I quickly slipped the car keys into my pocket. Reaching our car I unlocked it and switched on the engine. My Dad had taught me how to drive and now I used these skills to manoeuvre it out of the driveway. Turning the wheel I steered the car away from the retreating families. Even as I heard Mum’s scream I had no regrets. I had to save Shaz even if it meant my life, her parents were away, who else could rescue her?
The highway was packed with people heading south and I knew I had to be swift if I was going to make it. I shoved the car into gear and watched the speedometer race to 150 km/h. Nearing Shaz’s suburb I slowed down. The streets and houses were eerily deserted. At Shaz’s house I skidded to a halt, jumping out and sprinting to the front door. Without knocking I rushed in making my way upstairs to her room. Entering I saw Shaz packing her bags. ”WE HAVE TO GO, NOW!” I yelled at her. I grabbed her arm and dragged her outside. As we leapt into the car I saw the explosion thundering straight towards us like a giant dust cloud. I knew we had no chance, I reached over and kissed her. As the fiery cloud of destruction hit the car I whispered goodbye. Suddenly I snapped back into reality. I was in the classroom and had slept as Mrs Clabble lectured about the evils of nuclear warfare. I looked over at Shaz and smiled.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!