A Wild West Adventure

I woke up to the sound of the old air conditioner rumbling. Mum was rushing Dad and I out of bed, for we needed to be ready early this morning. I showered quickly and pulled on a pair of jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, even though it was like 30 degrees. I didn't mind though. My parents and I grabbed our hats and sunglasses and headed for our car, about to begin the biggest part of our grand adventure.
We're on holiday in America and we're driving from Orlando to LA. The trip is going to take about 3 weeks to complete, but it's well worth it. Right now we're in Monument Valley and we feel like cowboys; especially today. Because today we're crossing the border line to go horse riding through the valley.
We've arrived at the stables and Mum and I both have cream, coloured horses. I had several riding lessons while I was in England and have been learning to improve my trot, but Mum has been riding for years and can even get horses to canter. Dad has a brown horse called John Wayne. Honestly, I can't wait to see Dad start riding, 'cause when he does it is hilarious! Last time we went riding, Dad got bitten by another horse while riding his own.
Finally, we start off. The horses stretch their legs across the orange sand and pull us steadily through its sinking mouth. Up and down dunes we ride, the sun filling our bodies with energy and warmth. We curve through wide and narrow valleys alike and you can see the riverbed dried and crackled by the ferocious heat. The horses tread carefully in this area, so as to keep us and themselves steady. I'm just behind a couple who are the only other people doing the ride through Monument Valley. I look behind me and see Mum trotting towards me with John Wayne in tow and Dad shouting for Mum to stop controlling his horse. At least that solves the problem of John Wayne being 5 miles behind the rest of the group.
The guide soon leads our group to an archway of stone where a jeep tour group is also examining the rock face. The rock itself had a large hole in the roof which allowed a single beam of light to shine into it. The guide lead us closer to the archway and showed us strange markings that seemed to resemble drawings. They were fascinating to witness.
We continued along and as we got closer to the stables, the faster John Wayne got, much to Dad's approval. When we got back to the stables, I didn't want the ride to end. But it did. So I climbed off my horse and thanked the guide for showing us around Monument Valley on his horses. Even though it was a long time ago, the memory of horseback riding through Monument Valley will always be with me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!