Surfed Out

Surfed Out
I am paddling out when a humongous wave is rushing towards me. I won’t be able to swim back because it is coming so rapidly. My only option is to confront the wave. I am paddling faster and harder than I ever have. Then it strikes me. It feels like a large boulder rolling across my body. The pain is excruciating! I am gulping in a great amount of water. It tastes of salt. Now, I also taste a slimy textured object. Do I have an eel wriggling in my mouth? I choke it out and, to my relief, see a pile of green seaweed.

As I float further away from shore, I frantically search for my board. I find it and swim over. I have overcome one obstacle but I foresee another one on its way.

I hear the rain hit the water making a sound. “Pitter, patter, pitter, patter.” A light rain is starting up. “BOOM! CRASH!” A storm is brewing. “WHOOSH!” A strong gale is blowing me off my surfboard. I am blinded by the salt water that stings my eyes.

Every time I break to the surface of the water, my ears pop. The howling of the wind and slapping rain sound like the beating of a drum and the collision of cymbals.

Suddenly, the rain stops thundering down, the wind is calm and the sea is still. It is over. The storm has ended. Everything is peaceful, except for the squawking of the hungry seagulls.

I sigh in relief then look around me. My sigh of relief turns into a horrific gasp! I see a shark’s fin not far off. I have read somewhere that sharks are attracted to blood. I search around my body but I can’t find a spot of blood. I am trying to stay very still so that the shark will not think I am harmful.

The shark manoeuvres around me and my board, then swims off quickly. I look into the distance and find that the coast is clear of sharks and the shore is nearby. I paddle back slowly because all of my energy is drained out of me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!