Regnum Miraculo

The almighty Monarch of Damnatorum was celebrating his celebrating his 50th year reign of the throne and king to the land of Damnatorum. He was a wise old man named Constantine. He was the wisest and just ruler Damnatorum has ever seen in centuries when the first pilgrims came to this far away place from the land of Despera. There the land was corrupted with the evil and wickedness.

Whilst on his throne, he prepared a toast to his daughter, Maude, whom was wise similar to her father, but graceful and showed hospitality to everyone she met. “A toast to my daughter, Maude,” announced Constantine. “When I die I shall leave all I possess, including my kingdom, to Maude, in hoping that she would lead this kingdom into a better land for all,” the King boomed across the great hall. “To Maude,” Constantine toasted to. The crowd replied “To Lady Maude.” When the king brought the chalice to his lips, he felt a pang of pain and tasted acid and suddenly felt nauseous, he then collapsed onto the floor.

Maude rushed to her father’s aid and placed his head onto her lap. “Father, father, what is the matter,” questioned Maude. There was no reply from Constantine. The royal physician told the King’s servants “Bring his Majesty to the infirmary so I may examine him,” ordered the physician. Whilst at the infirmary, the physician examined the King. “Hmm… it looks to me like a dose of poison was dispensed into his Majesty’s chalice,” stated the physician “I could brew up an antidote, but I would need to the recipe and type of poison to be absolute sure.”

Maude was puzzled over the next few hours, of why a person could poison her father. She knew that it was probably a citizen of the land of Despera, and would assumingly be an alchemist. She then had an idea; she should go to the soldiers in Damnatorum whom controlled the flow of immigrants and migrants, she would ask to see any folks who have recently came from Despera who claimed to be an alchemist. She could then track down the person and interrogate them. She did what she had thought and her efforts resulted in her visiting the home of a woman named Victoria.

When she went to Victoria’s home, she found that she had gone. She searched the land of ownership and found in the courtyard a woman hanged from an olive branch by a rope. There was a note under her in neat handwriting saying that “For the land of Despera, the mightiest of all!” She went back to the infirmary finding her father dying. “Maude. Do not be sad, for my time has come,” gasped the King whom then closed his eyes. The King of Damnatorum was no longer. “I will lead this country wisely father,” alleged Maude. From that day on, she remembered her father always and rules kind-heartedly and wisely for the people and honoured her father.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!