Winter's Light

It was a freezing cold night, and a lone snowman stood out in the middle of the snowy park. The snowman, also known as Frosty, wore a long, red scarf with a big floppy hat. Frosty had three buttons (pebbles) on him, and a bright orange carrot for his nose. He was sort-of wonky, with his balls of snow off-centre, his half-smile and his pebble eyes, but he looked like he was loved and enjoyed. He definitely was, because every day three small children came bursting out of 71 Edward Street and running into the park. They raced each other up the hill, where Frosty the snowman was located. The children had named him after the movie that they treasured.
They played all day until dusk, until their mother called them in for tea. When they went inside, Frosty stood outside patiently waiting for them to come back tomorrow. But tonight was different. The children had taken down his hat and scarf, and looked at him sadly. They had only walked back and didn’t have smiles on their faces like usual. As the sun slowly set, Frosty pondered this. Soon the sky was pitch-black and there was nothing bright, except the city lights glowing dimly. Suddenly, at 71 Edward Street, the front door creaked open, and out slipped a small figure. The figure quietly ran across the road and into the park. Frosty watched as the figure ran up the hill and over to where he was.
When Frosty looked carefully, he could see that it was the little girl that had built him. Claire, that’s what the others called her. She walked closer and sat down in front of him, and said “Frosty, I’m scared. Tomorrow school is starting, and it will be my first day. James and Harry have already gone to school before and have their own friends. Will I have any?” Frosty wanted desperately to be able to help her, but didn't know how. But he had an idea! He grabbed a leaf and poked holes so it resembled a smiley face, then dropped it into the little girl’s lap. She looked up, startled, and then beamed at Frosty. “I knew you were my friend! Thank you for helping me!” she said happily.
The little girl then stood up, dusted herself off, and then gave Frosty a hug. He had never felt so loved and happy in his short life. Claire then dashed down the hill and ran across the small park, back into her quaint house. Just before she closed the door, she smiled at Frosty. He knew that his short winter life was fulfilled and he couldn't have wished for a better person to help.
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!