Tales Of Time

It’s not the way I remember it, or maybe I’ve just grown. The trees that line the gravel driveway were once young and small, but are now older, and a lot taller. The sky that I remembered as a constant blue is now a dull and miserable grey. I keep driving up to the house.
My old bronze house key still fits, and I open the front door. Everything inside has changed, too. The colours of the walls have gone from a bright yellow to a baby blue. The old lino has been replaced with new timber flooring. All new furniture. I walk down the hallway and into the living area. Renovated kitchen. I set down my bags and suitcases, and I put my keys on the bench. New French doors have been put in, replacing the old broken ones. I realise that the smell hasn't changed, despite everything else that has. It's a sweet smell, the smell of home.
As I step outside, the cool breeze hits me and it sends a shiver through my whole body. I close my eyes for a moment, and I pretend I'm five again. I pretend I haven't got a single care in the entire world and that nothing can stop me from smiling. And for a minute, just one minute, I believe it. But then I realise that I'm kidding myself, and I open my eyes.
The view out here was amazing. You could see the ocean. The deep, mysterious rippled blue that I took for granted. Beyond that, you could see the sunset and the shore on the other side with the lighthouse standing there alone.
But now, even though the water is still there, and you can still watch the sunset and see the lonely lighthouse, things aren't the same. The water isn't blue, it's grey. And the sunset can't take your breath away anymore. The lighthouse still looked sad and lonely, but it was as if it was used to it now, and it didn't care if it had a friend or not anymore.
Down at the beach I feel the delicate grains of sand under my feet and between my toes, and breathe in a breath of fresh air. The salty sea smell tingles my nose. I pick up one of the many shells that lay motionless on the golden sand, and examine it closely, admiring its beauty. I cautiously walk out further, and the cold water splashes my feet softly, as if it were inviting me in. I wade out further and when I'm knee-deep, I dive in. Under the water, I open my eyes and see nothing but blue. A deep, mysterious, rippled blue that I have longed to see since I left this place. I come up for breath, and the waves keep coming at me, softly, but quickly, like when I was a child.
And for the first time in a long time, I feel whole again. I guess some things never change.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!