The Story Of Old Man Jack

The sound of thunder shook the heavens and the earth. The rain poured down and the wind howled. Lightning flashed across the sky without warning and disappeared as suddenly as it came. Inside it was dark and damp.
Tony snuck down the halls and opened the door that led into the under layer of the castle, into the deep dungeons. If only he could get down to Old Man Jack he could hear another story. The dungeons, dimly lit, always had that queer, constant dripping noise but none could tell where it came from. Tony found Old Man Jack’s cell.
“Oh, Tony, it’s you.” Old Man Jack said, upon seeing the boy. He wasn’t really old, Tony knew. He had brown hair and a bushy beard. “Come closer and let me tell you a story.
“This story is a tale of a proud and strong sailor. He had deep blue eyes and great big locks in his hair. He was also a mighty warrior. He went on many adventures, ones that many knights wouldn’t dream of doing. He fought against evil foes and won the favour of many great kings. These kings would be delighted if he married any of their daughters, who were all dazzling princesses. But he didn’t, for he already had someone that he loved; a maiden who lived on a small farm in a small country across the vast sea, with the loveliest voice.
“People would often despise the sailor for not marrying a princess, for he could have everything a man could want if he did, including great treasures. But he would always say ‘there is no greater treasure than the one that lies across the sea.’
“One day the sailor was taking a message to a king. Accompanying the king was his daughter. Upon seeing the young handsome man, she asked in a soft, gentle voice ‘Oh won’t you come on a walk with me before you go?’
“Oh the poor sailor fell into a trap; enchanted by the beauty of the woman. It was a great mistake. She was indeed, very beautiful; but she was also very wicked. During their walk, she unexpectedly leaned forward to kiss him, but he quickly drew away, pushing her back.
“Furious, she sent for two guards and they arrested the young sailor. He didn’t have his sword so he couldn’t fight back. The guards threw him into the dungeon. He has never seen the sun nor his lovely maiden since, but every night he thinks and dreams of her and regrets what he’s done.”
As the story drew to an end, a clicking noise was heard from far above. They both knew what that meant. A guard was coming down.
“You must go now,” Said Old Man Jack.
“Wait, what was the sailor’s name?”
“His name… was Jack” came the quiet reply.
Tony left quickly, without looking back. As he ran he thought he could hear the calm and sweet singing voice of a beautiful maiden.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!