Caught

I will never forget that fateful night. The night where the moon was hidden behind the clouds, plunging the ally I was hiding in into darkness. Leaving me alone with no comfort, but for the sound of my own cold breathing. I remember sitting in the ally waiting, wondering. Would tonight be the night? Would they finally catch me as they have caught so many others? I should have keep moving but fear held me in place, left me cold with dread.

I played the game my mother had taught me, one of my few memories of her. ‘Close your eyes, little one, for if you can’t see them, then they can’t see you. That was one of the last memories I had of my mother and I clung to it with all my might that night but even that wasn't enough to prevent what was coming.

The thing that first alerted me to their presence was the sound of the quite engine in the street, and then it was gleaming, searching lights of the headlights as they came in to view of the alleyway. I crouched further behind the garbage cans, squeezing in my already thin belly, praying to whatever god out that there that they wouldn't find me. They just couldn't, not after everything else that I had been through.

They couldn't have stayed outside the alleyway for more than a minute but for me it was hours. The tension was horrible but before I could die from lack of oxygen the car and its hellish lights moved on. Breathing out a sigh of relief I rose and made a dash through the alley mazes and out the other side. I was running with all my might thinking that I was temporally safe and that all that I had to do was get to the other side of town and I would be safe. I was wrong.

In my rush to get away I wasn't as cautious as I should have been. The dart came out of nowhere and pierced the side of my neck; a perfect shot. I collapsed to the ground in a crumbled heap, my mind foggy with the toxins in the dart. Like so many before I had fallen into the hands of those that hunted children in the night but unlike most hunters these ones had and even darker purpose for they were the scientists and we, the lab rats.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!