Led

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

Bullets whizzed and snapped overhead as I dived behind the bench and peeled off my helmet. With the rest of my squad dead it wouldn’t be any help. I started fumbling through the pouches on my flack vest, scrounging for ammo. I cursed and peered up over my shoulder as a bullet ricocheted off the bench and flew past my ear.
There are like four of them. I looked down at me feet and laughed bitterly. Part of me hoped I could just sit here and wait to be shot, not wanting to face the flying led front on. But there it was. My commanders revolver, with a handful of bullets scattered across the floor. Gingerly I picked up the weapon, there was a bloody stain on the handle. My fingers trembling I popped out the cylinder, hot empty shells falling across my palm, searing my skin. I wonder how long I will last. I’m using a weapon I have never fired before, I’m fighting at least three guys using automatic weapons and I have, at max, six shots with a caliber I’m not used to.
Crack! A bullet hits the bench right above my head, showering me with dust. I rub my eyes, trying to clear away the grit. Am I crying?
I pluck a bullet off the ground and slide it into one chamber with a definite click.
The gunfire stops for a moment and someone shouted at me in a foreign language. These guys are fighting for what they believe in, and I’m fighting for my life. I wonder if that give me an advantage.
The voice barks again as I load in another bullet.
Maybe they think I’m dead-
The gunfire roars back to life, turning the wall in front of me into Swiss cheese. I press myself harder against the bench behind me. I scratch around on the floor before plucking a bullet off the ground. I try to load it in but my hand is shaking and I fumble, dropping the round on my lap. Cursing I took a deep breath before picking it up again and sliding it home.
The gunfire pauses for a moment and something clanks down inches from the front of my dusty boots.
Grenade.
I leap at it with a shout, grab it and toss it over my head like a hot iron.
The explosion showers me with dust and makes my teeth rattle. I lay on the floor for a few moments, watching as a crucifix slid clear from my shirt and dangled from my neck by a chain.
I wonder if there is someone is watching me. Or if there is a place for a person like me. A soldier, a killer.
I tuck away the necklace, sit back up and slide in another bullet. The gunfire barked back to life. I was oddly calm as I loaded the last bullet, spun the cylinder and slammed it home. I wasn’t sure how this would end, but I knew how it would begin.
I leapt to my feet, whirled around to face the enemy, peered down my sights and squeezed the trigger.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!