Intruder

Excellence Award in the 'Dream Big 2013' competition

“William, what have I told you about closing doors,” called Mrs Mace, slowly shutting the door behind her.
William barely registered his mother’s voice, transfixed on the pale purple object buried beneath the sand. It was unlike any object he had seen or felt before, rough yet smooth, heavy but somehow light. It was somehow tricking William into believing both sides. It was shaped like a stone, yet William knew it was something more than a simple thing to skim on water. It somehow spoke to him and William was powerless against the stones simple caresses.
"William, I’ve been waiting a while to meet you."
The short boy gulped, his mother would have called him crazy if she knew what he was talking to.
"Don’t tell you mother then boy, our little secret."
William shivered, eyes darting around his dying backyard, since his father left a year ago nobody looked after the grass. He didn’t want to find the stone, and now it was becoming warmer by the second, he knew his mistake would cost him something.
"You are right my child, though it won’t be easy for you to give up."
“W-what do you want?” asked William, his voice breaking was the only recognisable sign of his fear. The stone was becoming extremely hot, it was starting to burn William and he made the small gesture to placing the stone at his feet.
"No! Do not put me down. Bad things will happen if you do."
“B-but, it hurts,” cried William, tears falling from his eyes, “can I place you on my knees?” The poor boy wished he could throw the rock over his neighbour’s fence and just forget. He made a promise to Billy he would play with him tomorrow, even though he hadn’t asked his mum if it was okay.
"Yes, I suppose that’s fine. And in answer to your question, I need your body."
“W-what, W-why?” questioned William, the stone was beginning to scare him and it was becoming less likely that this was a bad dream. Things like this weren’t meant to happen to William, he was only the boy in class who didn’t pay attention, nothing special.
"Why do you think? I’m a simple stone with big dreams, I need fingers and toes."
William definitely didn’t want to give up his body, it was his and he didn’t like to share. Moving the stone to his left knee, William shook his head.
“No, you can’t have it,” said William, trying to take control of his shaking voice.
"Why you...! Wait. Fine, you can keep your body. One thing first, put me to your lips too send me away.'
William sighed in relief, the stones response wasn’t what he expected. As he lifted the stone to his lips, a sharp pain stabbed at his temple. William’s body hit the floor with a thud and he realised the stone had tricked him. When William reawakened, his eyes had become a light shade on purple.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!