THE DAY I WENT PROSPECTING

One day I went prospecting in the Eastern Goldfields with my Dad and dog Jessie. We drove out to an area that is good for Prospecting, within 2 hours from Kalgoorlie.
Whilst we were out, something terribly bad happened…..
Dad was looking for gold with my dog Jessie and I in tow. Dad’s metal detector was making normal sounds when…. BEEP, it went off!
My Dad dug down a little bit, to scrape the top of the soil when he suddenly said, “Gage. DON’T MOVE!”
I stopped in my tracks and asked “why?”
It was then Dad told me that we were on top of a mine shaft.
“Walk back slowly Gage in your tracks.”
I couldn’t help but jump backwards with fear.
Jessie our dog ran across the top of the shaft at the same moment that the ground beneath started to crack.
I called Jessie over to me. Immediately she returned sensing something was wrong.
The ground broke and dad fell. Deep! Just like that he was gone!
I yelled out “DAD!” I started crying, thinking I would never see my Dad again.
At that moment Dad said “Gage, I am okay, my detector is being held between some wood, and I think I can climb up and out. I can see an old mine cart I will put that between the wooden planks. Please Gage just stay back there and wait.
I called out “should I get the rope from the truck and pull you up? I can tie it up to the car if you like.
Dad didn’t answer my questions but instead called………
“Oh wow. My golly gosh. You’re not going to believe what I found down here, it’s a nugget as big as the car tyre. Throw me the rope Gage from where you are standing, and then tie it to the car!”
It took some time but I managed to help Dad out of the mineshaft. We put the dog in the car, packed up and climbed into the safety and warmth of the vehicle.
“Dad”, I said, “what about the gold you found?”
Dad replied, “Mate, its tied to the back of the ute so hang on.”
Dad then tried as hard as he could to get the nugget out. At last we got it! We covered the back of the car with a tarp and headed home.
As we pulled up Mum asked her usual question, “Did you find anything?”
I replied, “come and check this out.” When mum lifted the tarp she laughed before fainting and Dad had to carry her inside to recuperate from the shock. I called to my brother and sister to come outside. When my sister saw the nugget she decided to call it the Beauty of Ella.’
Dad thought that was a great name.
Early the next morning I made mum and dad a cup of tea and asked “so, what are we going to do with it now?”
Dad said the plan was to sell it to the Perth Mint so off we ventured in Dad’s Ute and guess what?
That day as a family we made $1,000,000.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!