Till Years Do Us Apart

Till Years Do Us Apart

He held the apple in one held, grasping the circular object with curiosity and peering into the ripen skin. The constant triggers of memories continuously appeared. It was happening frequently now that he was left alone in thought. It was just a bloody apple. Just a bloody apple.

She held the apple with her finger tips ghostly sliding across the surface of it. Why an apple? She chuckled; why the memories?

It was constant memories of the past. Of centuries or millenniums ago; cerulean, sea blue met luminous gold orbs.

He was a leader of some kind; a king was what rumors had spoken of. She was just a peasant in the markets with beauty that seemed to catch attention of all eyes. But rarely did anyone speak of her in a way that made her feel uncomfortable, because she was said to have been out of the ordinary. They say she had powers, an ability to read others. He was intrigued, ushered the men to question her wellbeing. But the public argued their case, protesting against that the young lady had the right to stay private about it. So he no longer lingered on about the topic.

She was then hired by the palace guards to work as a mere servant. She didn’t protest neither did she accept but she went along with it. It was then that they both met personally. No guards to usher or command but only meeting by exchanging civil words. Servant, King, whatever it was they ignored their statuses and went on with conversations that seemed to go on for hours. He had duties, she had duties but they continued with their pleasantries when hours seem sad or at loss.

It had been a month ever since her arrival to the palace; she was familiar with the surroundings and the people whom she worked with. He had met her for a month and he understood why she never spoke or questioned her abilities. Evening came one night and she was done with her duties, resting upon the rich-colored cushions that brightened the room with a soothing comfort. He came in with a small knock on the wall, signifying his presence.

She smiled softly, he returned the gesture.

Their conversation begun right away with small fits of laughter’s that filled the atmosphere; she felt at ease, he felt at ease. He had asked a simple question which caught her attention but it didn’t startle her.

“Do you ever think we would meet again someday…in another life?”

She quirked up, returning a small smile and looking out to the starry night above the golden desert…

“Maybe,”

He had continued to listen to her, hoping she would finish her statement.

“Maybe we could find each other again someday, yeah?”

She held a crimson apple, hinting the object.

They both exchanged small smiles.


- By: Grace Chen, Year Nine, Penshurst Girls Campus/ Georges River College

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!