When Anarchy Ends

"Shut the hell up! I didn't ask for you to be here. You're a dead weight Callom!" hissed a deadly voice lurking in the shadows.
"Now you can either do as I say or go back."
"You know how Mason would react, Adam," chuckled Callom, "He'd slit my throat quicker than you could say-"
"Don't..." Interrupted Adam showing all the hate he possessed in every part of his body for his despicable brother. Callom backed down with his hands held in a surrendering gesture but a mocking smirk purposefully blowing the act of sympathy. Adam didn't have time for this and dismissed the idea of the sneaky idiot behind him. He turned back to the street. No patrols, the diversion had worked. He quickly checked the skies for any sign of helicopters . He couldn't have hoped for better conditions.
"Come on." He whispered to Callom. They crossed the street hurriedly, too much was at stake to be careless. Adam kicked down the door of an abandoned building. From the look of the display cases and ovens this used to be a bakery. The glass from the shattered windows was scattered across the floor and made loud crunches amongst the absolute quite of the curfewed city. Part of the ceiling had fallen away revealing a small flat. The thought of people's lives being forced out from under them was always troubling him. This had gone on for too long.
"....heh..." snorted Callom. Adam turned to look at his brother. Callom looked around the room like nothing had happened.
"Yes, Callom?" flared Adam sarcastically.
"Do you think mum would have liked this place....." Asked Callom. Adam looked like he'd been stabbed, the utter betrayal and hatred gushing out of him. He couldn't even bring himself to respond to the psychopath in front of him. Years of loathing and bitter disgust bubbled over. Adam lunged forward.
"YOU PIECE OF-"
"Shhhhhhhh," interjected Callom with another smile. Clasping his hand over Adam's mouth.
"We're on a mission, remember?" Callom released his grip and pushed him towards exit. It took all of his strength to control himself but he could always deal with Callom later, there was a bigger picture now. They opened the door to the alley way, the coast was clear.
"After you." commanded Callom. They ran through the alley, there was nothing to stop them now. They came to the end of the alley and crossed the street after checking for patrols. There stood the warehouse, if this went well it would cripple them immensely. Something wasn't right, there were trucks.... but no guards. They wouldn't just leave, not this place. Adam walked up to the side and kicked open a small access door. Callom raised his handgun and entered the warehouse. Adam followed his actions, raising his own and entering the building. It was pitch black except for one light shinning down on the centre of the warehouse. He made his way over but quickly realised that Callom had disappeared. The realisation hit him instantly.
"Callom! You spineless coward!" screamed Adam. He was still in the shadows when he saw a soldier walk into the light.
"One chance, Adam...." he said calmly. Adam raised his gun and shot the soldier down. He saw a shadow run past him and open the door. Gunfire rang out through the building as he followed. Adam looked at his brother stand calmly holding his gun.
"It's ok, Adam.... you'll be with mum soon." Adam was blinded with fury as he raised his gun but Callom was quicker and Adam felt the soaring pain flood through him and all the anger leave him suddenly.....

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!