Letter From Elizabeth

To dearest Edward,
I am now safe in Rose Hill with Emily, a cheerful young girl who has a dreadful sickness. I was with Sarah, a stubborn but caring women, she looked after me before Surgeon Russel required me to assist Emily. Now I must tell you about my abysmal trip from Cranham to Sydney Cove, I felt horrible leaving you standing alone on the side of the pier. The first few weeks on board the LadyPenrhyn were fine, and the waters swayed gently against the ship, but as the relaxed weeks past, diseases were spreading quicker than a struck of lightning. I was very fortunate not to catch any of the horrible diseases that spread on the Lady Penrhyn, horrendous things were happening upon the ship,. As the month’s past the calm water’s started to become rough. Convicts were dying of starvation, I was terrified. As the month’s past it was a perilous journey across the high seas. Six month’s had past and at least 20 or 30 people had died, it was horrible to see some friends I had made, dead, from terrible diseases. {I won’t go into full details because I don’t want to frighten you.} By the 8th month 48 convicts as well as soldiers had died from small-pox and other diseases.
At the end of the 8th month we finally arrived at a strange deserted place. I stepped onto the shore, it felt strange finally being able to walk on shore after 8 months. After everyone had got off the ships, we set up our equipment, soon after some strange people with brown skin and covered in paint came along and told us to take our clothes off. Even tually the strange Indian-like people were working for Captain Arthur Philip, he seemed to hate these Indian people, he said they were savages, but they looked very nice to me. As the cold and dreadful days past, convicts and soldiers were put to work to build huts for the convicts and sailors,
There are many strange animals over here like kungaroos and small spiky creatures that waddle around all the time, it is hard to find food over here and we are lucky to even have any, we only have small rations. I have not yet told you about Simple Sam, he is a mischievous man but I feel sorry for him because he was beaten up in jail by filthy thieves and he now has brain damage, he lives in the bush and scavenges for food, he sometimes scares convicts because of his way. I am now back to the start of my letter, with Emily I have taught her to write and read much better than she could in the start. Now I must finish this letter so I hope you are well in Cranham and I also hope with all of my heart that we will meet again sometime.
Love Elizabeth your sister.xx

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!