Without Knowing

The hard sandy wind brushed briskly against her face as she galloped along the beach down to the water’s edge. “Down Bonnie,” a white fluffy puppy jumped down from the horse and landed on the soft sand leaving paw prints behind. “You two stay here,” the girl encouraged gently.
She ran down the sand, stumbling as her feet sunk into the soft, luscious sand. In her mind she kept telling herself one foot in front of the other, over and over. The sound of the water was so magnificent and cold, so joyful to swim and dive into, so wondrous and salty! Just the thought and sound of the ocean made her smile and all those sweet memories came rushing back into her mind. Just one touch and her life would be complete.
There was a big splash as the girl dove into the water, with a sigh. She lay on top of the water; it was so peacefully quiet except for one noise. Splashing…but the girl wasn’t moving. She turned her head around with a look of curiosity. “NO BONNIE! Why did you follow me?” She stood up and swam exceedingly fast towards her puppy. It was too late; her precious and beloved puppy had gone under. The girl cleared her face of her long and stringy hair and dove down under the water in hope of reaching her puppy.
It was dark and clear water and in the sand there were lots of seaweed and seashells but no certain sign of a dog. The girl went back to the surface of the water and sucked a long deep breath of oxygen into her lungs and dove back down into the now dark and deathly water. Yet again, there were only shells and seaweed. After ten long and desperate attempts, there was still no sign of the dog. With a sad and depressed look on her face, the girl walked back up to the surf as she desperately tried not to show her sadness. Every step felt like a piece of her fragile heart was tearing into smithereens. Every tear felt like it would scar her face. It was torture! The girl was too upset look up and face what had happened!
The ground seemed a lot harder than before, until it was soft. A white fluffy dog lay barely breathing and half alive on the slimy, washed up seaweed. The girl screamed and kneeled beside the puppy, nursing its head carefully. “I LOVE YOU!”
She felt its stomach and tried to revive it. It didn’t work! She searched the dog’s body for marks and found lots of new and fresh scrapes. She looked under the dog’s neck and found a bullet hole. BONNIE HADN’T DROWNED. . .
SHE HAD BEEN SHOT DEAD!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!