Black Bear

Running, running, running I don’t exactly know what from but the slightest sound of a stick snapping would be enough to make me scream. That’s all I can remember when I wake up on the long thick roots of an old oak tree, one bent root has my foot wedged underneath it. I carefully slide my foot out. I test my foot and check for any sign of injuries, fortunately nothing is wrong and I can walk fine so I spot a tall sturdy looking tree and I begin to climb the thick lower branches then the high thin branches. I climb until I reach the highest branch making sure I stay close to the trunk as the branch is more of a stick. I look out above the sea of trees that swallows up the rest of my body. I look out around me and all I see is forest, endless forest. I begin my climb down, just as I reach the mossy ground I hear it, a ground shaking growl.

I swiftly turn on my heels to the direction of the sound and I see a fully grown black bear with an open cave like mouth. “It’s okay, just stay away from it and it will stay away from you’ I say calmly to myself. The bear stops growling and stands back on its four strong legs. “Well that looks a bit less frightening” I say. At that moment the bear walks toward me looking me in the eyes. I brace myself for the worst but the bear just sits beside me as if guarding me from the dangers of the forest.

I can’t explain why but I feel safer with this bear by my side and by morning I know he won’t hurt me.
I get up and the bear wakes instantly, standing up and growling at any sound he may hear in the distance. I feel the bear and I will be together for a long time to come. I slowly run my icy cold fingers through his warm black fur when I hear them coming, a group of maybe four or five people. Just as the bear growls the people burst through the trees.

I can see them now wearing knives in their leather belts. “Wow, a bear today, its head will look nice on my bedroom wall!” I hear one yell, possibly the leader. They all pull out their knives and I have no choice but to leave the bear and run. As I am sprinting through the trees I hear an agonising growl and tears begin to roll down my face, every step brings me crashing to the ground. As my vision blurs my ears pick up a long moaning growl and then, dead silence. My eyes are heavy with tears, but now I know something for sure, I will be running for a very long time, not only from the humans but from the guilt.

Running, running, running…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!