Emerald Oblivion

It stopped. It could hear it. Hear the quietude, the serenity, inside of those ever-growing towers. It was as if the green leviathans were emanating purity. The songs of the birds resting high above trickled through the branches, their notes joining the minute droplets of water to fall onto the earth, providing the sounds for a natural orchestra. It pawed the ground, unsure as to whether to disturb the place of serenity any further. Curiosity soon took over, and the creature was wandering through the ancient giants once more. It soon came to remember why it was he had ventured to this place. Sustenance. It used all of its ability, but could not find a single ribbon of scent, not one odour that could be considered as food. It could smell the birds, the bitter whiff of degrading leaves, and even the ever-so-faint aroma of the insects, but none of the succulent fruits, luscious flowers and always-pleasing honeybee hives. It grew perplexed. Why did this forest withhold treasures from it? The creature’s homeland had never been this confusing.
It roamed amongst the greenwood for time immemorial, slipping through the transparent mist. It passed resounding waterfalls, streaming with water of perfect clarity, bordered by granite of the hardest quality. It crossed sinking lagoons, engulfed in the leafy deposits of the years past. It progressed through the hollow remains of fallen trees, which were worn to the ground, the struggle for life too much, and followed a rippling stream, that snaked its way about the forest, creating contours in the earth as it went.
As it neared tiredness, it felt a twinge of discontent making its way through its mind. After endless paths travelled, energy spent, and still not an inkling of a sweet delight? Any fluorescent piece of flora would do. A sense of rudimentary indignation had crept upon it, as it paused on its journey to reassert its priorities. In the small clearing in which it lay, a natural metamorphosis transpired. A single bloom, birthed at that very moment, rose from the earth. The creature grew aware of it soon after it caught the interest of its sense of smell.
The fragrance acted as an immediate energizer, propelling it to investigate. It sniffed at the pollen-laden petals before ingesting the honeyed delicacy. Although the flower was gone, the aroma was not. It did not take long for the origin to be discovered. In fact, hundreds of newly formed blossoms stood in a linear fashion, leading away in a peculiar fashion. With excitement building, it trundled along the bright pathway, until a wondrous sight met its gaze. Glade upon glade of fruit trees, tender flower bunches and even the occasional honey cache reduced it to a gyrating mass of fur as it flew into each opening, sampling each delight. The forest, it seemed, was producing the fruits of it’s labour.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!