The Black Cat

In the suburb of Stillness it was a dark, gloomy day. There was the seaside in the west, everyone who lived there would come down to the seaside and swim all day because it was hot. The privileged among them could afford a pool, but many of them really couldn’t afford one, so they would go down to the seaside. But that was before a black cat came and changed everything….
It all happened on a day that the seaside was heaved with people. I was sitting in my bedroom reading my book. There was no home, but me. It was really hot so I left my window open. I walked over to my window to see everyone splashing in the water. It looks like they’re having the time of their life. But then I saw something lurking around the sand. It was black all over with four feet. I the realised it was just a cat. I watched it for a bit. It stopped and looked at me. I walked away from my window and went back to reading my book.
30 minutes passed and I finish reading my book. I go to my window to see everyone still splashing in the water. I see the black cat again. My head starts to wonder what its doing because it doesn’t have an owner. I’m definitely sure. Oh well it probably just went for a walk. I then hear Mum calling my name - she just got back from Coles probably. I look away for a split-second and look back to my window, the cat has disappeared. I quickly search the beach. My head is going left to right I can feel my bones straining. As I’m looking for the black cat, everyone on the beach starts to mysteriously leave it. I have no idea why but everyone left so quickly. The sun was out and it was hot! I was a bit puzzled! Oh well I decided to just forget about it. I forgot all about Mum that was the biggest mistake I made in my life! Then I go to start my homework.
I’m well and truly into my homework, but I feel like a quick break. As I touch my bedroom door I hear Mum screaming. I have a feeling that this is going to be bad! My heart starts pounding and my hands are sweating. I start running down the stairs to the kitchen. I’m in the kitchen to find Mum on the floor shaking and shivering. My heart feels like it has stopped beating. I rush over, to find her body full of scratches, bruises and blood all over her. I don’t know what has happened. I don’t know whether to call an ambulance or what to do. But then out of the corner of my eye I see a black cat the exact same one I saw earlier on the beach. My hands start to tremble and I’m shivering in shock.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!