The Beast

“Help!” she yelled, even though she knew no one could hear. She heard its lazy footsteps behind her, breaking branches and twigs underneath its heavy footfall, not caring how much noise it made. She heard its horrible grunting breath ready for its next meal. The smell hit her. The smell of rotting eggs and decaying meat. She collapsed, knowing that she was going to die. Knowing that in the last moment of her life the only thing she would see was the gaping mouth and slimy throat, of ‘The Beast’.

I woke with a start. Breathing heavily and feeling freezing cold sweat running down my face like I was outside in a storm. I looked down at my hands and saw that they were shaking. I’d had bad dreams before but they had never looked as real as this one. I looked at my clock. It was four in the morning. Everyone would still be asleep. I walked quietly out of my room and looked out the large window. I could see strange shapes in the dark shadows and the small bushes. That creeped me out for some reason. I kept telling myself that my dream was nothing but that, a dream, but something kept nagging in the back of my mind that something bad had happened. I walked back into my room and tried to go back to sleep but something was keeping me awake. Finally I must’ve drifted off to sleep.

I woke up suddenly; it was still dark which was strange. I shouldn’t have woken up again this quickly. I looked around because I was feeling kind of cold and I saw that I was not in my nice warm bed and small bedroom, I was surrounded by tall, green pine trees. I was lying on the twigs and leaves of the dark forest. I almost vomited and the sight in front of my eyes. A body. It had been ripped open from the stomach and the insides had been torn out. It was terrible to see but even worse was the smell. The smell of rotting eggs and extremely old meat. With a shock I realized where I knew that smell from.

I started to run, fast.
“Help!” I screamed, even though I knew no one would hear. I heard its lazy footsteps behind me, breaking branches and twigs beneath its heavy footfall, not caring how much noise it made. I heard its horrible, grunting breath ready for its next meal. I collapsed, knowing that I was going to die. Knowing that in the last moment of my life the only thing I would see was the gaping mouth and slimy throat, of ‘The Beast’. And in that brief moment that its claw was ripping down my stomach I realized that some dreams actually do come true. Well for me anyway.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!