Insane

365 days have passed. 365 sunrises and 365 sunsets have come and gone, and I’m still here, still here in this room. My state of mind is slowly diminishing as I sit within these four walls thinking and listening to that little voice in my head. It’s sometimes a dangerous thing being alone with your thoughts, it’s even more dangerous knowing you’re the only one that’s physically and emotionally sane. To me it’s like a game, a constant battle between killing my thoughts or them killing me. But I will come out victorious. I know what I saw, I know what I felt and I know what I heard in that house, no amount of drugs can manipulate my mind. I’m not insane. I’m not insane!

The day came quick, quicker than I expected. It was only 32 days ago when grandad died, and was only 28 days ago when mum told me we were going to go live in his home.. I can’t exactly say I was surprised, I mean I was used to packing up and leaving. Before I knew it we were driving away from what I guess you could call my old home, and entering my grandad’s coffin, my new home…

The first night came. On average the human mind takes approximately 7 minutes to fall asleep, more than one-third of teenagers wake up in the middle of the night on a regular basis. Of those who experience abnormal awakenings, nearly half are unable to fall back asleep right away. Doctors frequently diagnose this condition as a sleep disorder called insomnia, so I guess this is normal… first night in a new house, a different environment, a changed bed, it’s a given to not get a comfortable sleep, right? I’m in an old house, the floorboards are bound to creek. But it never stopped. Nights went on and I heard the same things, the same creaks, the same noises… until this one night. It was a cold night, colder than normal, and normal was about 3 degrees. It was normal for me to lie on my side and stare at the only window in the room. But this night was different, this was not normal, this wasn’t even human.

The room went silent. It was almost like the whole world at that very moment was on pause. The only sound my ears picked up on was the beat of my heart that increased as adrenalin and fear overtook my body. An awful stench lingered passed my nose, it was almost as if death itself was in this very room with me. A sudden cold breeze caressed my skin, sending shivers through every bone in my spine, making every hair stand tall on my body. Warm heat kissed my neck, warm breath. I wasn’t alone…

And that’s all I remember. Until I am able to comprehend what happened that night, this room is my home. I will remember. I am not insane.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!