Value Of A Best Friend

When you lose someone, and you can turn back time, will you do it?

My name is Claire. I lost someone precious to me. It distracts me knowing that the person who died, protected me from getting an accident.

I lost my best friend, Laurel.

She pushed me aside before a car crashed into me. Her head banged against the road, the main reason for her death. Her funeral seems like torture to me. I felt that if I was the one who died, she might still be here with her family. I took her away from them.

If I can replace her, I would.

*The next day*

“Claire, you’re going to be late for school!”

It’s 7.50am. I quickly changed my clothes, brushed my teeth and grabbed a toast from the dining table. After putting on my shoes, I grabbed my bag and said goodbye hastily.

And I saw something that might be a hallucination.

Laurel was there standing in front of my house, just like every time when we go to school.

“You’re late! Now we have to run to school!” she whined.

I looked at my phone. August 11th. I ran with her, but a certain thought filled my mind.

I’ve gone back in time, a week before her death.

*A few days later*

“Claire, let’s go to that store, please?”

Everyone knows that I’m not much of a girl when it comes to personality. I tend to be boyish a lot.

The whole reason why I don’t go to an……. Accessory shop.

But I knew what will happen the day after tomorrow. The day when I’m supposed to die. So this time, I went along with her whims. She practically skipped around, looking everywhere. I sighed and waited while listening to some songs.

“I’m done!”

I looked at her direction, and she gave me a blue ribbon.

“It matches you, so I thought I should buy it for you,” she explained.

“Thanks.”

“Think of it as a good luck charm for you Taekwondo championship, OK?”

It snapped into my mind. She died when we were crossing the road, on the way to my match. I was silent all the way back home, thinking of a way to change her fate.

*The day of the finals*

“The finals of the Asia-Pacific Taekwondo Championship 2014 will start in 30 minutes!”

I looked at the clock. I’d been here earlier since I had to. Not the same way as it was ‘before’.

“Try your best, OK?” my father, who is also my coach, supported me.

“I’ll be outside.”

I ran as I could outside of the building where the championships were held. Then I saw her, she was waiting to cross the road.

The light turned green, I saw the same car.

I sprinted as fast as I could, and closed my eyes as I grabbed her.

*A few moments later*

Both of us sat near the sea, as the sun sets.

“Don’t you regret it?” Laurel asked, "Sacrificing your life?"

"No," I replied, "I don't think so."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!