Caged Freedom


The stagnant air was numbingly cold. We only had a few blankets between us. In this timeless imprisonment of fear one could not afford to be precious about space. All resources were shared. Only two measly meals were had each day. No books, no radio and certainly no television could be enjoyed. Someone’s occasional faint whisper and the hope of living free again were all that could be valued. This harsh blizzard of skepticism and dictated prejudice ruled our lives.

Outside a truck rumbled loudly. We made no sound. Not a cough, a sneeze or a breath could escape. Greetings were exchanged downstairs. We listened intently. All of us lay on the ground with our ears pressed down against the cold wooden floor. “Good morning madam, a required inspection needs to be conducted, may we enter your home please?”
“Yes, of course,” was shakily replied. We could hear the thumps of their boots against the floor. The noise grew louder and louder. They opened doors, looking to see what was concealed within. THUMP, THUMP! We clenched our fists, shared wordless stares for the last time. A book was removed from the bookcase standing in front of the door leading to our refuge. We waited in anticipation. I squeezed my eyes shut. I could not fight my vivid memories of vulturine soldiers from replaying in my head, over and over again. The book was returned. The sound of boots faded. I let out a sigh of ease.

We now listened for final words. Farewells were exchanged; the loud thumps could no longer be heard. For my own assurance I hastily slid over to the crack in the wall, the only source of life in this dark chasm. Our source of hope. I peered through and saw the soldiers speaking with each other. My excitement was overwhelming! I pursed my lips and pressed them against the icy cold wall. Little icicles formed on my lips. I took a deep breath in of the fresh air, the cold burning my lungs. I blew the air out as fast as I could, the warmed air forming a cloud outside, like steam shooting out of a steam train. I peered through again. Both soldiers were staring at the crack with puzzled looks on their faces. Shocked, I quickly turned inside.

Once more we could hear the loud thumps of boots, this time it sounded wild, like a stampede. You could sense the urgency in their paces. Deafening screams raced into our ears. Objects were being thrown around, vases shattered on the floor. We were all confused. The books were being thrown out of the bookcase one by one. The bookcase was thrown to the ground. All we could do was remain still and pray. BANG, BANG, BANG! The door finally gave up its protection. Screaming and shouting, the soldiers raced up the stairs. We all shared our last embrace. I opened my eyes. Tall silhouettes of marauding predators came to seize their prey.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!