Gabriella's Story

"I'm scared mother!" I cried.We were huddled in our makeshift bomb shelter in our backyard, trying to block out the deafening sounds of bombs falling, then the shuddering of the earth. Mother, Father,Blake and I were living in the terrible times of World War 2. The Nazi's were bombing us and we never knew if we would survive the night.

The next morning, we awoke to find half of our street disaster. Everything was rubble, but that wasn't the worst. Later that afternoon, two British soldiers came to our door, telling us that Blake was to go to war.That night was terrible for my family as we said goodbye to Blake.

"Look after mother and father, Gabriella," Blake whispered to me, his eyes filling with tears. Then he turned and walked away.

The next few weeks, I couldn't explain my emotions. I would walk around feeling numb, and every few minutes, I would walk into Blake's room hoping he would be there again, just like old times.

I was sitting on Blake's bed looking at his photo album, when my father walked in. His face was stained with tears and his eyes were puffy and red.
"Gabriella," he said gently, come down to the kitchen, your mother and I need to talk to you.

At those words, my mind buzzed. Was this about Blake? I wondered?
I anxiously followed my father downstairs. In the kitchen, my mother sat on a stool, her face in her hands. On the table lay a telegram.

"Gabriella!" my mother cried, as she flung her arms around me. "There is something we need to tell you! Blake has been killed by the Nazi's!" she sobbed.

For a moment I couldn't breathe. My chest tightened and I could feel my eyes welling with tears. Blake. My brother. Best friend. Dead.
"No,!" I shouted, half sobbing. "Blake can't die! He's too brave!"

I ran to my room, slammed the door and collapsed on my bed, wailing for Blake. That night, I woke to the familiar sounds of bombs falling. But I didn't want to go to the shelter. I didn't want to live if Blake couldn't too.

My father had to drag me to the bomb shelter that night, and I didn't scream or cry. I had no energy, and I barely heard the bombs falling.

Soon, the war was over and father helped to rebuild our house and town again.
As the years went by, the pain of losing Blake became easier to bare.I would never completely be right again, but life goes on. I grew up, but never married. My house was filled with pictures of Blake and I as young children, and they made me smile when I walked past them.Remembering all the memories.

I became a school teacher and taught all the young children at our small town school. I enjoyed the rest of my life and made many friends, who I would hold close to my heart for the rest of my life.



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!