Oblivion

We sit here, staring into space, gazing at the ones we love and at times, we forget about everything. We fall into void of blank thoughts and non-existent memories. Lost, like stars in the day. This was one of those thoughts.
I was plummeting towards oblivion, it was swallowing me whole. My body felt light but as if every inch of my body was ablaze. I wanted to scream, but the words were endlessly echoing in my throat. Trapped. Gasping for air, yet I was still breathing. Drowning in a pool of black, yet I was still alive. My heart was pounding, begging for mercy. Tumbling towards the ground like a lifeless ragdoll. My thud reverberated against the endless silence. Opposing it. Like I wasn’t meant to be here. This place was so full of forgotten dreams. Overwhelming. My soul flickers, yearning for life. I can taste summer on the tip of my tongue. I can hear children laughing. The smell of freshly cut grass. I open my eyes. The scene had changed, a couple were dancing in the luminescent moonlight. Both leaving a trail of silver dust. Swaying with the wind, wind chimes resonating their happy thoughts. Radiating stars in the pitch black sky. Then I woke up to reality. People are walking by, a blur of expressionless faces, amongst all the shouting, pollution, sideway looks from the corners of peoples’ eyes sit thoughts like oblivion. Dreaming the impossible. What if feeling alone in a crowd became reality. What if reality faded away, and oblivion became reality.

I imagined oblivion to be a wonderful place, yet one that is so violent and harsh, a place about forgetting and being forgotten, that one cannot simply live in oblivion. But maybe we already are living in that sort of oblivion now.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!