Cacophony Of Tranquility

Fingers slightly trembling, she cups the drugs and with a shaky vision, Delilah opens a dry mouth to quickly throw in the 4 or so pills in. She grabs the cold glass of water on her bedside table next to an old pizza box and gulps down, the pills leave a tart aftertaste; much like everything in this world. She gets up and decides to take a shower – the first one in weeks, perhaps months. Her joints click and a surge of pain follows but she ignores it, after being diagnosed with schizophrenia a year ago nothing much has been the same. Delilah stopped listening to reality and was falling into insanity. Cooped up in her home, nothing can hurt her ...or so she thought.
Navigating through the dirty laundry, littered Chinese takeout boxes and a few dead insects here and there she meets a bathroom mirror and takes a good look at her filthy self. Hollows were eyes should be , like an abyss; deep and full of nothingness. Short frizzy hair was missing on some places of her scalp due to Delilah pulling at her scalp, ripping it into shreds. Her full lips were cracked and dry , so whenever she talked it would stung- not that she did any speaking anyways. Her once beautiful, curvy silhouette had drastically transform into a thin, sinuous decrepit body .
Transfixed for a moment for what a year of neglecting had done to her , she snaps out of it and pushes a mouldy shower curtain that one could faintly make out a large flower with a smile. A spider seems to have occupied the area first so to be courteous Delilah gently says “Sorry there, Mr Spider! Can i use this shower as well? Pretty please? We can have one together, yea? How ‘bout that?”And she turns on full blast the shower handle labelled “cold”and the spider is being whisked away before trying to scuttle back onto dry land. Slipping off her T-shirt and underwear, she enters the icy cold waterfall; the gentle dripping sound echoes the room not unlike to rainfall. Small bubbles can be seen and the smell of apple and strawberry impregnates the bitter, grimy bathroom.
“Tomorrow, tomorrow ill love ya til tomorrow~,”Joyfully singing a song she heard an eternity ago, she washes the dirt and grime collected on the surface of her skin. She tenderly cares for the bruised parts , the welts and the open sores on her body, wincing as frosty water hits her raw skin. “He he! “Hahahha”” Hello Delilah” Childish laughter resonates in Delilah’s ear as a loud ringing noise follows. No, no, stop it, not again, please MAKE IT STOP. She clutches her head, and bangs it against the tiled walls to get rid of the obnoxious noises- only it makes it worse and the laughter is duplicated and is now accompanied by deeper voices: men and women, the senile, people of all races. They surround her , enveloping all her previous thoughts creating a hellish place.
“Now, Dearest Delilah, don’t you think it’s time for you to do the deed?” an old creaky voice says. She shakes her head; she doesn’t want to do it. She doesn’t want to follow their words. “Deliah...,”The voice is filled with contempt and Delilah shrinks into her own hole. “ DO IT, DO IT NOW” It roars , bursting her eardrums , she can’t stand it anymore so she quickly turns the shower off and gets ready to leap out when she slips and falls... onto the cold hard slab of tiles. Blood is slowly pooling on where her skull was struck and a ghostly smile is etched upon her face as she finally has peace. The voices, now whispering, finally come to a stop and all was still.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!