Jabberwock Transformation

“BEWARE THE JABBERWOCK” said the old man. “The evil beast, with eyes of fire, death surrounds. Claws like spears and the breath of fear.” Mitch stared at the old man in horror, but then unexpectedly the gaping mouth turned into a grin, next a mischievous smirk. All of a sudden, he burst into laughter! The old man was ever so shocked and felt so disrespected. Later that night when the boy, Mitch, was sleeping, his light brown hair, almost blonde, drooped down over his face. His vivid green eyes covered by his eyelids and his occasional deep breath, almost like a sigh. Something happened that woke the boy up. Banging and crashing from the house next door, also known as the old man’s house. The old man never spoke his name, therefore everyone named him sir. Mitch sat bolt upright as he heard this horrific sound. Soon after his eyes were wide open, there was another crash, sounded a bit like breaking glass. “ROAAARRRWWHGAGHHW”. Mitch immediately looked out his window to see a big, frightening, black creature with purple eyes staring back at him. “Jabberwock” whispered Mitch. The creature had heard his name. The creature was Jabberwock. The old man had warned him but Mitch thought it was just a myth. Jabberwock licked his lips and glared at the boy, purple eyes turning red. Jabberwock started salivating. Mitch ran downstairs and out the back door into the forest. “ROAARRHW” screamed Jabberwock. The flame and anger in his eyes. Mitch kept running, he never looked back in case he’d get a glimpse of death. Nearby Mitch saw a tree that reminded him of his tree house back home. It had branches perfect for climbing and Mitch knew exactly what to do. He sprinted 70 metres towards the tree, all his rugby training had paid off. The beast was getting closer, in a matter of seconds Mitch was at the top of the tree, he’d climbed it perfectly with only one branch breaking from beneath his clumsy feet. Mitch broke off a thick branch and climbed up through the bushy leaves, he stared at the ground for a moment wondering whether the old man was alright. But that short thought went down the drain because Jabberwock was at the foot of the tree that Mitch was in. Jabberwock stretched his body until he was at eye level with the child. Mitch was petrified, his whole body shaking. But, with one swing, he knocked out the Jabberwock with the branch and the beast slowly transformed into the old man. Mitch climbed down carefully and walked towards the elder. He was twitching a bit and moaning.
“H…H…Hello?” Mitch said timidly.
“Ugh? Who’s that? What?” moaned the old man.
“Sir, it’s Mitch”
“Oh, well, hello young boy”
“Are you alright? I believe you were just possessed by the Jabbewock?”
“I was meaning to tell you that…”
“What?!!”
“I…I…I am the Jabberwock…”
Mitch just smiled as he helped the old man up. “Cool” said Mitch, with a grin. And they walked out of the forest in the dark, went home and explained everything to each other.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!