Obey

I awoke at 7am by the sound of the radio that would never turn off, the daily announced as always played, every day the same message drilled into my head. Over and over again I was made to listen to the greatness of our leader, his superiority, his brilliance and his strength. Constantly reminded to obey, be silent and listen. The message would play again at lunch, then dinner and then at curfew. All citizens had to be indoors before 9pm or you would be shot. The message continued, and, as law required, I repeated its words.
"Our leader has brought our country fortune."
I opened the pantry to find it in its usually empty state.
"Our leader cares for us all."
I jumped at the sound at another gunshot.
"The leader wants us to be free."
I looked out my window to see the re-education camps and marching soldiers.
"Obey."
I put my factory uniform, over my emaciated body. The crime for not working was lighter than most. You and your family would lose the daily rations and the criminal would be severely beaten. Most crimes resulted in death...or torture. If the crime was severe enough you and three generations of your family would never be seen again.
I walked silently to work, my head downcast, my face blank. I hid my true emotions. Eyes and ears were everywhere. They were always watching.
I worked in a dusty factory for hours, harsh coughing overpowered the sound of heavy machinery, while smoke clogged our lungs. Finally the day came to an end at 7pm and we were off to receive our rations. When my number was called I was able to receive a handful of nuts and a small bottle of slightly grey water.
We are all numbers here, no one but the leader is ever referred to by name. Most have forgotten their names, including myself. We all forget eventually.
The rations were so small, not truly enough. Many suffered slow, painful starvation. Many would become so fatigued , so weak, they couldn't work and for that they were punished, left beaten and without rations.
My rage continued to boil. I shook with anger as I stared down the rations in my pale thin hands, I stared as I heard another gunshot.
My rage, my hatred was too much to contain.
"Our leader keeps fortune for HIMSELF!"
"Our leader NEVER cared, our leader wants us to be CONTROLLED!"
"Why should I OBEY?"
"I WILL NOT OBEY!"
I felt all the rage leave me and froze with realisation. Everyone looked away in shock, not wanting to be associated with me.
The soldiers ran up to me with guns in hand.
I knew this was last anyone would see of me.
They would take me and my family to one of their camps, were pain and misery will become all we know.
Then I alone would disappear, whilst a single gunshot would follow the words of the radio.

"Obey."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!