Free At Last

Once long ago there lived a lonely 11 year old girl Jodie Timberkane. She lived in a small countryside home in Alice Springs with her mother, father and little 8-year-old brother Eddie. Ever since she was four she had always wanted a special animal friend; horse, dog, cat, bird, even a hermit crab to keep her company. You see, her town population was of 46 people and all were adults or teenagers, none of which would want to play with her. Eddie was ok, but after awhile he gets bored and would go inside to sleep. One special place Jodie did have a friend at was at Mr Salco's property where he owned six horses; Annabelle, Bolt, Ash, Gloria, Missy and Stanley. He let Jodie look after Gloria who was 11 months pregnant.
Time passed and finally Gloria gave birth to a handsome dun coated colt.
“Hey mum,” Jodie panted.
“What honey?”
“Gloria gave birth.”
“Oh sweety, what gender?”
“Male and dun coat.”
Jodie sat down and told her more details about the foal. She was very excited and was feeling a bubbly feeling of joy rush through her body. Each and everyday she would walk down to the property and go care for Gloria and her new foal which Jodie named Flash. Finally everything was great until…
“Mum,” sobbed Jodie as she ran into the house one day.
“What’s the matter sugar?” Her mother asked, putting down the carrot she was grating.
“The vet just came to check on Gloria and Flash to see if anything was wrong and discovered something terrible.”
“What darling?”
“Flash's blind and Mr Salco is going to sell him to the knackery!”
“Oh honey,” her mother said as she gave Jodie a hug.
That's when Jodie decided selling animals to death because they had something wrong with them is not right. Animals are living things that should be treated the same way as humans treat other humans. No knackery farmers would be taking Flash away.
Later that night Jodie crept quietly out of her bed as she had made sure her parents were asleep and grabbed her rope. She quietly opened her window making sure no creaking sound was made, jumped through and ran down the lane towards Mr Salco's property. She raced to the stables after climbing the gate and found Flash whinnying in excitement.
“I'm coming to save you Flash,” she said, sensing his excitement. She opened his door and tied the rope around his neck. Just as she was pulling him towards the exit, he accidentally knocked his metal feeding tray over. Waiting for the lights to come on in the house 50 metres away, Jodie carefully tugged him to the back door and took him out into the moonlit night. Free at last.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!