Epernine And The Eye Of The Acorn

The smell of old wood and vanilla overtook Epernine as she ambled into the library, away from the pandemonium outside.
“Why hello there Epernine,” whispered the librarian hoarsely. Epernine felt at home in the Golden-Oak Library, as though in a different land.
Epernine wandered around, when suddenly she came across a weird book. Epernine suddenly felt an urge to pick it up. The book was so heavy, like an elephant was packed tightly inside. She dragged the book to her favourite chair by the fire to read. The cover was golden-oak brown with an embossed acorn.
She started reading and very quickly was engaged. It was an intriguing story, actually it wasn’t a story, but more of a history of the city. Then she read an anonymous quote, “The acorn will open with the slightest gnaw, then follow your path just like before.” There was a picture of an acorn with a stick figure inside. What did this mean?
Epernine borrowed the book, it was so interesting reading about the past, but weird as she found messages too. The next day she saw a man who seemed familiar from what she had read. She lost him, but then saw him again, this time staring at her. The whole way home she was followed by this strange man.
Then suddenly he stopped and said another message. “The acorn, now open, everywhere I’ll be, come through the portal, follow me,” then he vanished.
Epinine then saw an acorn at her feet, it had something carved in its golden shell - a triangle with two stick figures, together.
Epernine rushed inside and grabbed the book, she looked at all the messages she’d read. Each one had something to do with an acorn. Then she saw it. “The acorn now open… The acorn’s the portal. That man wants me to follow him.” Epernine was flabbergasted but understood.
That night Epernine was lost in thought as she dozed off, but the riddles just followed into her dream.
“The acorn’s now brown, the time for you, take the crown, midnight it’s due.”
“Who are you?” cried Epernine.
“I cannot speak a word of my name, as it’s you who’s the one to gain,” said the same man.
Suddenly Epernine woke up, heart pounding, more messages, she had to search the town.
She searched all night, then it hit her…. the park. Two trees together, shaped like an acorn between them. This must be the place he wanted to meet her.
At midnight, Epernine walked to the park and she was right. There was the man, at the trees.
“You’ve followed the clues, now comes your time. Pass through the portal with me, see your destiny,” said the man in rhyme.
Epernine hopped through the portal and into a magical, happy world where she felt instantly at home.
The magical book Epernine found hid itself back at the library, waiting to be found by another special person.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!